Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8mm Cine lenses on cheap digital cameras - wild !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: 8mm Cine lenses on cheap digital cameras - wild ! Reply with quote

I am blown away by the coolness of this -

http://www.ksmt.com/eos10d/eos_nikki_body27.htm#080930

The page is in Japanese I think, but its easy to understand what this guy has been doing - hacking cheap digital cameras and giving them lens mounts for 8mm Cine lenses. Have a look.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gives the words "alternative lens" an entirely new perspective... Smile I agree, seriously cool.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Thanks for posting the link, Luis.

It reminds of a project of mine to mount the small sensor of a cheap digicam behind a Pentax Auto 110 SLR. I happen to have a Polaroid x530, which has a very good Foveon sensor but an awful zoom lens. What I want to do is to mount the Foveon sensor on the image plane of the miniature Pentax SLR. Then I plan to connect the flash contact of the Pentax 110 to the shutter release of the Polaroid digicam so that the shutter of the Pentax will also trigger the Polaroid. I have a few lenses for the Pentax 110, ranging from 18mm to 70mm as well as a 2x teleconverter. With the small size of the Foveon sensor (1/1.8"), the 18mm will become something like a 87mm in 35mm terms, the 70mm will become a 336.5mm equivalent and even a 673mm with the doubler.

Here are some pictures taken with the Polaroid x530:

As you can see, the Foveon sensor is capable of good results. Imagine that with some Pentax glass in front...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 8mm Cine lenses on cheap digital cameras - wild ! Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I am blown away by the coolness of this -

http://www.ksmt.com/eos10d/eos_nikki_body27.htm#080930

The page is in Japanese I think, but its easy to understand what this guy has been doing - hacking cheap digital cameras and giving them lens mounts for 8mm Cine lenses. Have a look.

Thanks for sharing it, Luis, I've enjoyed it a lot...
That's real surgery!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Very interesting. Thanks for posting the link, Luis.

It reminds of a project of mine to mount the small sensor of a cheap digicam behind a Pentax Auto 110 SLR. I happen to have a Polaroid x530, which has a very good Foveon sensor but an awful zoom lens. What I want to do is to mount the Foveon sensor on the image plane of the miniature Pentax SLR. Then I plan to connect the flash contact of the Pentax 110 to the shutter release of the Polaroid digicam so that the shutter of the Pentax will also trigger the Polaroid. I have a few lenses for the Pentax 110, ranging from 18mm to 70mm as well as a 2x teleconverter. With the small size of the Foveon sensor (1/1.8"), the 18mm will become something like a 87mm in 35mm terms, the 70mm will become a 336.5mm equivalent and even a 673mm with the doubler.

Here are some pictures taken with the Polaroid x530:
As you can see, the Foveon sensor is capable of good results. Imagine that with some Pentax glass in front...

Cheers!

Abbazz

Your results with the polaroid are really nice!!.
I did target the Sigma's as a future acquisition because the Foveon sensor. I didn't know these Polaroids sported one as well!.

I was not long ago thinking in a sensor trasplant from my Aiptek Slim 3000 to a standard SLR M42 body (a Zenith btw), but I was refrained because I didn't find any simple solution for synchronize triggering. Probably a best approach would be to use one of the Canon P&S that have the firmware readily available (I mean some models from series S where people modified the firmware to get RAW pictures).

Just a standby project by now.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought of putting a cheap Cosmicar (Pentax) manual focus & aperture tv-lens to a compact. The register distance is 17 mm so it could well be attached, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link gave vey nice ideas to me, thank you Luis!

I've a Fujinon-TV lenses source, is there anybody that know the register distance of that system?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Your results with the polaroid are really nice!!.
I did target the Sigma's as a future acquisition because the Foveon sensor. I didn't know these Polaroids sported one as well!.

Thanks for the compliment, Jes. The Polaroid x530 is really a badly designed camera. If you are willing to struggle to get pictures out of this hellish machine, then you'll find out it is capable of outstanding results thanks to its Foveon sensor. Here are links to some of the only reviews of this short-lived camera available on the net:

http://www.testiweb.com/x530.htm

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/compentry/

http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/polaroid_x530_foveon_review.htm

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! What about "recycling" my Kern-Aarau ,Berthiot d-mount , Angénieux and TTH c-mount lenses ? A very good idea ... Yet this kind of surgery is not obvious at all ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea, but that needs some serious engineering and several tools that I do not have.
I have some old digicams though and I would love to start such a project...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seriously dismayed that none of the big machine makers took on the foveon. Results from our colleagues with the SD14 show beautifully natural (non-digital) results. I would consider the machine but almost no-one handles their RAW format and the prop software seems pretty bad (as are most of them).

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Here's a much more detailed hack -- well documented Reply with quote

See
http://www.naturfotograf.com/roll_your_own_lens.html

I have a boat load of 8mm cine lenses, including the top Switars. Would love to try this given some time. Smile

R.J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: searching for related info, I'll revive this thread Reply with quote

Looking for more info on adapting Argus C3 lenses to PK mounts (which I raised in another old thread -- I'm now waiting for a 42mm-->43mm ring to arrive), I found this thread, and it inspires a question:

Does anyone have a favorite cheap digicam that can be easily modified to take C-mount lenses?

I suppose the candidate camera would contain a fixed prime lens, as well as an LCD screen. The only such that I own is a 1.1 mpx Sony DSC-P20 with a 1/2.7 sensor and a 6mm f/4.5 lens. But it is my first digicam, and it still works well, and I don't wish to chop it up. And a cine lens deserves to feed a sensor larger than 1.1 mpx. An ideal candidate camera would allow its fixed lens to be replaced with a 25mm adapter ring. The result would be a cheap MILC (mirrorless interchangeable lens camera), eh?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: searching for related info, I'll revive this thread Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
Does anyone have a favorite cheap digicam that can be easily modified to take C-mount lenses?

C-mount? All micro-4/3 and Sony NEX cams can take C-mount lenses *without* modification to the cameras themselves. You just need an adapter.

Kenko is releasing a C-mount digicam in February:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100925_396108.html

These have even smaller sensors that would be perfect for mounting D-mount cine lenses (via a D-to-C mount adapter).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: searching for related info, I'll revive this thread Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
RioRico wrote:

C-mount? All micro-4/3 and Sony NEX cams can take C-mount lenses *without* modification to the cameras themselves. You just need an adapter.

The operative word is CHEAP. Like in the US$20-50 range, used. I'm not willing to spend mucho dinero on a new camera system, at least not anytime soon. I just want to see if anyone here has hacked-together a MILC from some old consumer trash, that's all.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Louis,
gave me wild dreams, leaving me with severe headache, because I don't think I can do that myself. But quit interesting though!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: searching for related info, I'll revive this thread Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Kenko is releasing a C-mount digicam in February:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100925_396108.html

If I read that before Sunday, I would probably have bought a Beaulieu 16mm film camera set with a pretty new Schneider Kreuznach Zoom and I think 16 mm lens, and a Kern tele macro lens.
Ok, I think it is better that I not bought them, they had bit fungus, and I thin I would not buy C-Mount cameras - have enough ot them on work.

I have several compact digital cameras for tinkering. But each time when I open one, I hate the miniatur mechanics and electronic inside. The shown camera seems pretty simple, but newer ones with a zoom lens will probably not work without the feedback that the lens is fully extended..
And the flash capacitors give you a nice "welcome" emergency :-/
One of my waiting projects is a conversion into an infrared camera. Or some lens hacks, because I have some smaller format lenses too.
Furthermore I am not sure, with which camera I should start some sensor experiments (sensor glas removal, probably RGB pattern removal).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let us know when you find a digital model that can be used when zoom removed. I can't wait to find platform to put De Oude Delft Rayxar on!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: De Oude Delft Rayxar Reply with quote

Oh, for that I can reccomend machine vision cameras Smile
They have no reflex mirror, and after disassembly of the mount unit one could get pretty close to she sensor.
I work with such cameras.
Disatvantage is, that you have noch viewfinder, no camera display, even no memory. You need at least a labtop for use of the camera. And with larger sensors they are not cheap.

I have not the De Oude Delft Rayxar, but a kind of fast Rodenstock, but I think f/1.1, not faster that 1.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid! Can you suggest some model that can be found cheap but has good around 1/3" sensor. Laptop is no problem as long one can get 3-5mm near sensor. How does your Rodenstock perform?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Probably a best approach would be to use one of the Canon P&S that have the firmware readily available (I mean some models from series S where people modified the firmware to get RAW pictures).

Jes, can you tell me which models are this or point me to more information?

Eugen