Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

7artisans 35mm - better than vintage lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: 7artisans 35mm - better than vintage lenses? Reply with quote

Hi there!
So I have about 150$ to put down for a fast 35mm manual lens.
I currently use the Pentax K 35/3.5 as a daily, but need something faster because I usually shoot PM.

Now, at 150$ I can get something like an SMC 35MM F2 or a Nikkor AIS 35MM F2... But I can also get a 7Artisans 35mm 1.2 or 1.4.

1. Would you go Vintage or get the 7artisans?
2. Which 7artisans? Some people said that the cheaper 1.4 is actually a better corrected lens with less flaws and nice character. Would you say that's the case? Or is the 1.2 still worth it just for the novelty.
3. Is the build as solid as a vintage Pentax, with a nice smooth focuser and a tight aperture ring? Or is it all loosy loosy like the new Fujifilm lenses that rattle all over the place and have loose rings (and no, I do not consider Fuji XF lenses as well built at all next to my Nikkors for example...just to announce my build standards Smile )

Thanks for any tip!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since the '80's my "fast" 35mm has been my EBC Fujinon f/1.9 in Fujica 42-screw … it's good enough that I've not considered the need to even check out any alternatives Wink
As for prices in today's market … get lucky Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 7Artisans 35mm f1.2 for my little Fuji X-E2s
It is very good.
I would not say that it is better than your alternatives, but it is much more compact, does not need an adapter and produces very pleasing results.
The quality of mine is excellent - smooth in operation and with tight tolerances.
The aperture is without detents - ie clickless - some videographers like this.
It is often on my camera when I want to carry it in a pocket or in my day bag.
Here are some images from it
Tom

Last edited by Oldhand on Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a size comparison, here is the little 7Artisans beside the Super Multi Coated Takumar 35mm f2 with its adapter.
There is a big difference
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the first version of the 7 Artisans 35/1.2, in many respects it takes good photos, but there are shortcomings. With bright spots in dark photos, fringing stands out, and sometimes the glow is also very uncontrolled.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7 artisans lenses are for crop sensor.

If that is good with you. I'd say get one. I have a few 7artisan lenses and they are more contrasty and seem sharper than the old equivalents. I use full frame. I find that the 35 f2 is s little soft on corners until f4 but overall its a nice punchy lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's relative what "better" is of course. Even when we speak strictly technically, resolution, aberrations and so on, many people just zoom in in the center and make their judgement. Most, almost all of 7Artisans lenses don't perform too well compared to better vintage lenses in terms of corner-to-corner resolution eand so on (but there are a few that do very well, they really make different lenses with different characteristics). Coating can be better, but many 7Artisans flare as much as Soviet lenses when challenged. Good thing is that they often offer vintage lens charm as well (sonnar or some other old-school rendering). Quality check isn't perfect as well. But for the money, they can really offer much. And they do render well on Fujis it seems, offering less clinical look compared to their native glass.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Ever since the '80's my "fast" 35mm has been my EBC Fujinon f/1.9 in Fujica 42-screw … it's good enough that I've not considered the need to even check out any alternatives Wink
As for prices in today's market … get lucky Wink

Then I'm not sure the experience applies to OP :p

Dejan wrote:
It's relative what "better" is of course. Even when we speak strictly technically, resolution, aberrations and so on, many people just zoom in in the center and make their judgement. Most, almost all of 7Artisans lenses don't perform too well compared to better vintage lenses in terms of corner-to-corner resolution eand so on

Really? Gonna need a citation on that. Granted, they sometimes target a budget.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried 7artisans 35/1.4 and both 35/2.0 in M mount. I would say the first version of 35/2.0 M mount is the most interesting one I found. Build quality is excellent. Optically it is pretty sharp with nice bokeh. The color of the 35/2.0 M Wen is better than the first version. The 7artisans 34/1.4 is a decent lens too but I found it don't perform well at night. The 35/1.2 for APS-C camera should be a good choice for its price.

For vintage lens, my choice will be the Minolta 35/1.8 MD. It has decent sharpness at WO. Good color and relatively small compare to other Japaneses lenses made in the same era.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me is simple, answer is #1. Used to shoot perfect lenses and since I've switched , I don't feel like going backwards. It's up to each one of us I guess. It's true that most of the times I haven't paid the actual value of the lenses , but if you're patient, you might grab some good deal. If you need something right away, you don't have that option though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fastest 35mm lens is konica 40/1.8.

& for 3x less money than 7artisans you get even 5mm more.
cant beat that deal.

if you are ready to spend 150$ on a modern lens than I would suggest samyang 35 1.2.
bit more $ but outstanding (modern) image.
going out from that you are on a Fuji