Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

625 Battery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: 625 Battery Reply with quote

No doubt this has been asked many times......

I have today aquired a Praktica Super TL. This is my 1st film SLR and was kindly donated to me. All seems to work fine but it has no battery, so no meter.

I understand that the original batteries are no longer available, but are there any reasonably priced alternatives. I don't want the zinc/air battery option as the camera will only get occasional use. What about adapters or some kind of mod?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get an adapter from www.criscam.com, they are not exactly cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I calculated already from a price of adapter I can buy air-zink batteries for 5 years at least.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy my PX625's from a swedish officestore for about 2€, they work well in the Yashicas anyway and seems to work good in the Gossen lightmeter also. Check your office store, I think this type of battery was used in calculators or something like that so they sell replacement batteries for offices.

My Praktica uses PX28, that one I haven't found here yet though. I know I can buy them from international stores on the net but I havn't come around to it yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:
I buy my PX625's from a swedish officestore for about 2€, they work well in the Yashicas anyway and seems to work good in the Gossen lightmeter also. Check your office store, I think this type of battery was used in calculators or something like that so they sell replacement batteries for offices.

My Praktica uses PX28, that one I haven't found here yet though. I know I can buy them from international stores on the net but I havn't come around to it yet.

Interesting.. The ones you buy are they 1,35 or 1,50 volts. If 1,35 please post a link.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Interesting.. The ones you buy are they 1,35 or 1,50 volts. If 1,35 please post a link.

Oops, no they are 1.5 volts... so I guess it depends on how the extra voltage is handled.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gössen lighmeter cheating a bit with 1.5 volt, but with negative film this is acceptable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinc-Air batteries are easily preserved by re-covering the air holes. This adds many months to the life of the battery.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Zinc-Air batteries are easily preserved by re-covering the air holes. This adds many months to the life of the battery.

That's an excellent hint!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:
lahnet wrote:

Oops, no they are 1.5 volts... so I guess it depends on how the extra voltage is handled.

Are they silver cells or alkaline? I just saw some mention of a silver 625 cell the other day but I've never seen one myself.... alkaline cells are unstable in voltage, in some cameras they will give a good exposure one day and a bad one (in either direction) on another day. As you say, it depends on the meter circuit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:
Are they silver cells or alkaline? I just saw some mention of a silver 625 cell the other day but I've never seen one myself.... alkaline cells are unstable in voltage, in some cameras they will give a good exposure one day and a bad one (in either direction) on another day. As you say, it depends on the meter circuit.

Alkaline, but they worked good so far...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread which addressed this issue for my take...

http://forum.mflenses.com/gossen-lunasix-3-exposure-meter-battery-replacement-t10388,highlight,625+battery.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
See this thread which addressed this issue for my take...

http://forum.mflenses.com/gossen-lunasix-3-exposure-meter-battery-replacement-t10388,highlight,625+battery.html

Aha, but then this ones (zink air, za675) could work? They are easier to find so that would be great.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattias,
I use the #675 hearing aid air cells in my older equipment. I have the outer "shell" of a couple of alkaline 625's that I use to make them fit correctly. It's just like the adapter mentioned earlier ( http://www.cris-store.com/servlet/the-5/MR9-MR-dsh-9-Mercury-Battery/Detail) but without the voltage reducing diode. Since the #675 hearing aid air cells are the closest to the old mercury cells, the diode isn't needed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
Mattias,
I use the #675 hearing aid air cells in my older equipment. I have the outer "shell" of a couple of alkaline 625's that I use to make them fit correctly. It's just like the adapter mentioned earlier ( http://www.cris-store.com/servlet/the-5/MR9-MR-dsh-9-Mercury-Battery/Detail) but without the voltage reducing diode. Since the #675 hearing aid air cells are the closest to the old mercury cells, the diode isn't needed.

Great, thanks for the tip Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Laurence wrote:

That's an excellent hint!

I've had a zinc-air battery in the Revueflex for 7 months now...in that time, I've run about 6 rolls of film through, covering the air holes after my sessions.

Interestingly, I have a hearing aid too, so I buy hearing aid batteries in bulk.

As long as the air holes are covered, there is a shelf life of at LEAST five years, based on my personal experience! Shocked

I'm STILL waiting to use up the battery in the Revueflex.... Cool...same situation with the Contaflex 126...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also buy hearing aid batteries in bulk....I wear hearing aids in both ears and have since I was 7 yrs old back in 1956

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, Matt etc
If you have an alkaline cell (which won't last too long before the voltage begins to drop), you can use the shell of it to make your own adapter to use a cheap 1.55v silver oxide cell. It's a simple job:
http://www.paulbg.com/batt-adapt-US.pdf

I also found a site in Japan that sells 625 adapters similar to the Criscam one, quite cheap too (about £15.50):
http://www.kanto-cs.co.jp/english/adapter/adapter_en.html