Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

50s - wide open... (now with Part II)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the volna is the king of this series
absolutly no contour on highlights and the most smooth bokeh, look the phone keyboard
this demonstrate that the test go better for macro lenses who are optimized for short distances
now Carsten you have to do a infinity test with the same lens
what about a nice landscape like St Elizabeth's church

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
...what about a nice landscape like St Elizabeth's church

Come one, you only want me to carry all these lenses around Marburg in my huge backpack and then you tell me that I always bring too much gear. Wink Laughing Laughing

Well, seriously, I think that landscape shots cannot be equally well compared at such a small size (900px). You would need much bigger photos, or several crops and I don't have the time to do the latter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with landscape, available light is always a factor....a difficult one to control.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
absolutly no contour on highlights and the most smooth bokeh, look the phone keyboard
this demonstrate that the test go better for macro lenses who are optimized for short distances

I would have chosen the Volna as the best, if not for the flair that shows on the left side of the camera body. I liked everything else about it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting to note the DOF difference between the helios'. It seems as if the 44m 6 is a bit more shallow. They seem to render their highlights, however, in much the same way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
It is interesting to note the DOF difference between the helios'. It seems as if the 44m 6 is a bit more shallow. They seem to render their highlights, however, in much the same way.

The depth of focus is about 2 cm with this lens in this situation.
It might have easily been that I focussed one Helios a little more to the front. The writing on the lens is sharp in each case but the "ADOX" on the cam is more blurred in one case.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten wrote:
It might have easily been that I focussed one Helios a little more to the front

Didn't you use the liveview of the 40D for this series

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten

You are very patient and it was good of you to do both of these tests.

I agree with the comment that it is very difficult to pick out a clear winner. Orio and poilu both have good points, especially about an infinity test comparison. That would really take this series to great heights Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Carsten

You are very patient and it was good of you to do both of these tests.

Yes, I agree and thanks to everyone else’s analysis. This helps me to understand the lens and what different peoples find important!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - a wonderfull test,
I am surprised about the homogen quality. Superb.

respectfully Peter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Carsten wrote:
It might have easily been that I focussed one Helios a little more to the front

Didn't you use the liveview of the 40D for this series

Nope, these pics were shot with the 350D. With manual lenses I still know this cam better, how it exposes etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
Congratulations - a wonderfull test,
I am surprised about the homogen quality. Superb.

Thanks, Peter. You really can't go wrong with most of the 50mm lenses, esp. not with known brands.
The only one that has ever been rather disappointing for me was a "Auto Reflecta 1.7/55", pretty mediocre in any respect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

To my eyes also.

The Volna has a "look" to the picture, All (yes all) the rest are pretty good to excellent in terms of focus and bokeh but the Volna is like a beautiful dark eyed woman with an attitude compared to all the other California sunshine girls.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
...the Volna is like a beautiful dark eyed woman with an attitude compared to all the other California sunshine girls.

Now, that is what I call a good simile!
(Although I rather like the blonde Californian girls. Wink)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
lulalake wrote:
...the Volna is like a beautiful dark eyed woman with an attitude compared to all the other California sunshine girls.

Now, that is what I call a good simile!
(Although I rather like the blonde Californian girls. Wink)

I just like the girls Razz