Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

50/1.4 -- sharpest/least CA wide open?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: 50/1.4 -- sharpest/least CA wide open? Reply with quote

i have a super-takumar 50/1.4, and while i love this lens, i have noticed fairly frustrating CA when shooting wide open, and even a little bit when stopped down to f2.
Just as a general question so that i know for the future, what would you say is the best (in regards to sharpness and CA) 50/1.4 lens to shoot wide open?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumars tend to miraculously reveal different level of CA on different DSLR cameras: http://www.pentax-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=954&start=20
Slovenian language there but you can see the photos.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Takumars tend to miraculously reveal different level of CA on different DSLR cameras: http://www.pentax-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=954&start=20
Slovenian language there but you can see the photos.

unfortunately, i had to sign in or something (i'm not exactly sure), so i wasnt able to see the pictures.
Is the CA particularly bad on Canons?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed significant levels of CA with either my Nikkor 50/1.4 AIs or my Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC. But I should double-check to be sure, really.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the two versions of the SMC Takumar 50/1.04 and none of these shows CA on both my K10D and 5DII ...
Nevertheless, i have never used a Super Takumar 50/1.4 (softer coating) nor i have an APS-C Canon for testing ...

Actually, i think i have about 15 different 50/55/58mm lenses and, from the whole set, i think the SMC Tak 50/1.4 is the best performer wide open ...

But i have never used a Planar 50/1.4 ...

Last minute edit: just noticed in the 'Best of lenses' gallery some sample shots with a Planar 50/1.4 ZE on a Canon 7D ... Maybe these could interest you ...

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 50/1.4 -- sharpest/least CA wide open? Reply with quote

gearsNcogs wrote:
i have a super-takumar 50/1.4, and while i love this lens, i have noticed fairly frustrating CA when shooting wide open, and even a little bit when stopped down to f2.
Just as a general question so that i know for the future, what would you say is the best (in regards to sharpness and CA) 50/1.4 lens to shoot wide open?

I think you're seeing the bokeh fringing, which some say it's not technically CA. I actually think it gives a special character to many images. Most fast lenses will show bokeh fringing, but I found the Voigtlander Nokton 58/1.4 to have less than most.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:

Actually, i think i have about 15 different 50/55/58mm lenses and, from the whole set, i think the SMC Tak 50/1.4 is the best performer wide open ...

But i have never used a Planar 50/1.4 ...

Last minute edit: just noticed in the 'Best of lenses' gallery some sample shots with a Planar 50/1.4 ZE on a Canon 7D ... Maybe these could interest you ...

The SMC Tak and the Planar 50/1.4 are both lenses that interest me very much. i need to do more research before i'd buy either one, but they both seem to be fairly promising.

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:

I think you're seeing the bokeh fringing, which some say it's not technically CA. I actually think it gives a special character to many images. Most fast lenses will show bokeh fringing, but I found the Voigtlander Nokton 58/1.4 to have less than most.

well, as far as "bokeh fringing" is concerned, its true, i do see more fringing when something is slightly our of focus (green for front focus, magenta for back focus) , but even when something is perfectly in focus, there is a glowey, hazey, effect to it, which usually seems to have a magenta tint to it. but perhaps you are right, it may be that i'm being over critical of the lens.

Does anyone have a specific comparison/opinions on the Super-Tak, SMC Tak, or Planar 50/1.4 compared to the modern Canon EF 50/1.4 (AF lens) in regards to sharpness/CA?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIVIERA Super-Takumar 1.4/50mm wide-open

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read the new Voigtländer 58mm f1.4 is one of the best regarding CA. It costs a pretty penny by comparison to the others though. The Zuiko 1.4 appears to be very sharp.

I think it is very hard to correct for CA in such fast lenses and usually the oof regions will show various colour fringes.

Edit: hmm, I'm the wise guy once more who didn't read the whole thread.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cistrom.

I don't remember if exist any APO 50 mm lens. All the rest have CA problem.

More or less controled CA, yes. But the circumstances of the image will be very important.

As you know, the less contrast range image and the more closed diafragm = less CA.

Rino

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Cistrom.

I believe the Alpa Kern Switar 50/1.9 is apochromatic. The newest Leica Summilux-M 50/1.4 comes close as well, I've heard. APO doesn't guarantee at all that there is no bokeh fringing though. APO only applies to what happens in the focal plane.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
..............I believe the Alpa Kern Switar 50/1.9 is apochromatic............

I had it for some years and has CA. Very well corrected, yes, but no APO lens.

I had the 2/100 and it's an APO lens. Not CA at all.

Rino

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
RIVIERA Super-Takumar 1.4/50mm wide-open

Absolutely wonderful picture. Smile i definitely believe it is possible to get amazing shots out of the Super-Tak (it's still my favorite lens by far of the ones i own) i was just thinking about what the next step might be, a little farther down the road.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

Canon's 55mm f/1.2 SSC Aspherical is probably the closest they ever came to an APO lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gearsNcogs: thanks, it was shot against direct (though late) sunlight. It's wide cut, otherwise sun is on the photo.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I really like the deep afternoon colors. Even the wide flare to the right of the photo isn't really objectionable. Really it's to be expected with that sort of shot, isn't it.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Really it's to be expected with that sort of shot, isn't it.
We're just so used to flare from TV and movies. So used that I think they artificially added flare to the last Star Trek production.