Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

4X5 Lens Choices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: 4X5 Lens Choices Reply with quote

I filled my car with camera gear at a thrift store today. Included were two 4X5 cameras and a bunch of lenses. So now I have some lens choices to make and need some input.

I have three pairings of lenses that do the same thing. So I need help deciding which to keep and which to sell.

90mm:
Schneider f8 Super Angulon Technica Vs. Astragon f6.3
The Schneider was $19.69 when the entire load today is divvied up equally. The Astragon was $55 plus $90 for the shutter overhaul. So is the Schneider significantly better? If not, I'm inclined to keep the Astragon because it's 2/3 of a stop faster and would work on either my Cambo 4X5 or a Travelwide 4X5 if I pick one of those up in the future.

135mm:
Schneider 135mm f5.6 (convertable to 235 f12) in a synchro-compur shutter vs. a mid-1930s Zeiss f4.5 tessar in a Compur shutter
Both work great and, I won't lie, I'm inclined to keep them both. But that means picking up two Cambo lens boards. (Part of the haul was a pristine Cambo 4X5, so I'm trading up from my old Calumet CC-401) The Schneider was $19,69 and the Zeiss was $20.45, so I may just sell the one that will fetch more.

210mm
Caltar S-II f5.6 vs. a Schneider Symmar (convertible to 370 f12)
The Caltar has a pin-head sized spot of coating separation and some Schneideritis. This one I'm really stumped on which way to go. In this case, I bought both of these today and don't need two 210mm lenses.

Thank you for your thoughts an input. This conundrum has me stumped.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
can't say anything about the Caltar and Astragon lenses, as I do not know them.
But I know the Super Angulon, which I liked.
135: I would prefer the Schneider over the Tessar. Anyway, I think that 135 is a pretty short focal length for 4x5.

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

135mm was common on US 4x5 press cameras.
127mm was often used (maybe more than 135mm) also in spite of some vignetting.
Of course these were not often used with movements. They were used as large snapshot cameras at f/16 with a big flash bulb.
A "normal" 135mm should barely cover 4x5 with just a bit of movement if stopped down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll kip the 210 Caltar-S II. It is, AFAIK, made by Schneider, too, but it's more recent than the Symmar and has better coating and, probably, better micro-contrast. I don't think that the Schnideritte and the tiny coating separation has a noticeable impact on the IQ.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Klaus, Luis, and Dan.

I need to test the two 90mm lenses and if the Schneider is better simply take a loss on the Astragon. I think I'll see how the 135mm lenses perform and maybe keep both since theyy'll have different characteristics. For the 210, I think it'll be the Caltar that I keep, and I'm glad I asked since I was leaning toward keeping the Schneider. And yes, the Caltar is made by Schneider.