Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

45-55mm budget lens options?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom in Delaware wrote:
Probably your best bang for the buck is the M42 SMC Takumar 55 f1.8 or f2 (same lens with a aperture limiter). Nice sharp lens with good bokeh.

It's an amazing lens! One of my favorites.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How does the Helios 44m-4 differ from the 44-2 which I already have?

As helios lenses evolved they where significantly sharper and brighter, especially by the sides. The mechanics of 44m-4 are different. It has the auto function. Also the bokeh that this lens is able to produce is quite interesting.
Quote:

Good advice about not throwing cameras away. Only tonight I thought 'damn, why didn't I take the M42 mount off that Zenit, only four screws to remove!' Oh well, you live and learn.

Well said. Don`t worry I have sold sooo many cameras and lenses for a symbolic price like 2-4 eu .... now I wish I hadn`t Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Tessar. The industar is not that good (It is not that flare resistant. and the colors are not that good)
You should try to get a lens with more elements btw. 4 are just not enough.

For this Canon you should be able to get an exakta adapter. There are lot's of nice lens in Exakta mount and not so expensive as in M42.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Just wondering what peoples opinions were on these two and which would be preferable for my use on an EOS 10d, I like the idea of a pancake lens for casual shots as a walking around lens but the Tessar isn't all that much bigger. Of course, the Industar is also a Tessar design, I doubt the stop difference in speed makes much difference.

Industar 50 3.5 50mm M42

Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8 50mm M42

Both are about the same price secondhand and lots of them for sale. Ideally I'd just grad one of both to play with but finances won;t allow such flippant purchasing right now, sadly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you are not aware of it: Even though the 10D is APS-C, you cannot mount Pentax-K lenses to it without either modifying the lens or the camera. Unlike its successors, the 10D is EF mount instead of EF-S, so the aperture lever and protection shield of Pentax lenses hit the mirror box.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Is 0.3mm difference enough to make a noticeable difference?

You will lose the ability to focus at infinity. So, for example, a Helios 44M-4 2/58 in M39 mount with a 45.2 mm register would focus at ~ 11 m and not further. It's a simple calculation with various approximations but it's consistent with the scale on the focusing ring of an actual lens. The situation is worse for shorter focal lengths. So a Mir 1 2.8/37 will focus up to ~ 5m.

Edit. I haven't actually seen a Helios 44M-4 in M39 mount. The calculation was carried out on a hypothetical M39 version of this lens because I have a real lens at hand and can look at the focusing scale.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Is 0.3mm difference enough to make a noticeable difference?

You will lose the ability to focus at infinity. So, for example, a Helios 44M-4 2/58 in M39 mount with a 45.2 mm register would focus at ~ 11 m and not further. It's a simple calculation with various approximations but it's consistent with the scale on the focusing ring of an actual lens. The situation is worse for shorter focal lengths. So a Mir 1 2.8/37 will focus up to ~ 5m.

Edit. I haven't actually seen a Helios 44M-4 in M39 mount. The calculation was carried out on a hypothetical M39 version of this lens because I have a real lens at hand and can look at the focusing scale.

Only the original Helios 44 are avaliable in M39 mount.