Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3D stereo experiments with adapted MF lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:
simple.joy wrote:
Three shots taken with Componon 35 mm lens:

I assume that's a Schneider Componon. Does it have any further identification, e.g "C".

Yes indeed. In fact these shots were taken with two different Schneider Kreuznach Componon 35 mm f/4 lenses, one of them a modified black metal version in BK mount (with round aperture) and one a newer B-00 mount with the (somewhat unpleasant) pentagonal aperture . But as far as I know there is no Componon C, only a Componar C... or is my information incomplete there?[/list]

I was thinking of Componon-S of which I have the 100mm f5.6, not used much.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parodia leninghausii.

A7r3, Oshiro 2:1 60mm Ultra Macro at f11 and f8.

The aperture ring has no click stops and is easily moved, so I had to do a re-shoot!

These satin-like flowers easily develop burned-out highlights, which I had to moderate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Parodia leninghausii.

Very nice result and an interesting looking flower as well!

On another note... while looking up one of my lenses, I pretty much don't know anything about, I stumbled upon a forum entry by you (in another forum), so it seems like you have that lens as well. It's a Cooke Anastigmat Special lens 12.5 mm f/2.5. Do you still own it? If so, we could perhaps make a thread here, if there isn't one already... Even though I have to admit that I don't know a lot about it, it could be worth it to archive it here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

On another note... while looking up one of my lenses, I pretty much don't know anything about, I stumbled upon a forum entry by you (in another forum), so it seems like you have that lens as well. It's a Cooke Anastigmat Special lens 12.5 mm f/2.5. Do you still own it? If so, we could perhaps make a thread here, if there isn't one already... Even though I have to admit that I don't know a lot about it, it could be worth it to archive it here.

I have no Cook folder in my hardware list. If I had it I will still have it. I might have a look later. I have a case of legacy enlarger and macro lenses (Photars. etc.) some of which I have yet to use. They are stored away from immediate access.

You could help me by a PM with a link to my supposed post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
simple.joy wrote:

I have no Cook folder in my hardware list. If I had it I will still have it. I might have a look later. I have a case of legacy enlarger and macro lenses (Photars. etc.) some of which I have yet to use. They are stored away from immediate access.

You could help me by a PM with a link to my supposed post.

Solved, thanks to a PM. I think of the lens a a Taylor Hobson. From November 2016:

Taylor Taylor Hobson Cooke Anastigmat 12.5mm at f11, on A7R, 35mm from sensor, FOV 10mm wide. Twin TTL flash.

This is a Slime Mould Trichia persimilis with upper, middle spore capsules ripe and opened to release spores. Not the subject for impressive stereo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slime Mould Stemonitopsis. (About 2mm tall).

Olympus EM-1, Leitz Photar 80mm f4.5, on 3 helicoids, FOV 4.5mm, f8, triple TTL flash. (Probably the only stereo pair I have from a Photar).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Taylor Hobson:

https://www.taylor-hobson.com/aboutus/overview

See "History".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="e6filmuser"]
e6filmuser wrote:

Solved, thanks to a PM. I think of the lens a a Taylor Hobson. From November 2016:

Taylor Taylor Hobson Cooke Anastigmat 12.5mm at f11, on A7R, 35mm from sensor, FOV 10mm wide. Twin TTL flash.

This is a Slime Mould Trichia persimilis with upper, middle spore capsules ripe and opened to release spores. Not the subject for impressive stereo!

Thank you very much! Looks great. I have created an extra thread on the lens here:

https://forum.mflenses.com/taylor-hobson-cooke-anastigmat-special-lens-12-5-mm-f-2-5-t85408.html

If you could share what you know about the lens there and perhaps add a couple of images you've made with it, it would be highly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these were shot with an Agfa Ocellar 5 cm projection lens:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

Beautiful rendering!

What can you say about the differences between your industrial Xenon 35mm f2 and the f2 modified Componon 35mm? I've been searching for a 35mm Xenon with no luck because they are super rare. But the Componons are more common so maybe I should settle for one of those.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
simple.joy wrote:

Beautiful rendering!

What can you say about the differences between your industrial Xenon 35mm f2 and the f2 modified Componon 35mm? I've been searching for a 35mm Xenon with no luck because they are super rare. But the Componons are more common so maybe I should settle for one of those.

Thank you! Yes, I like the rendering of that lens a lot. I‘ve only compared them directly once but from my impression from shooting both quite a bit, I‘m pretty sure they‘re identical optically. Perhaps coatings vary (but most likely due to production year rather than differences between the models) and some of the Xenons do have a unique body with different aperture blades.

There‘s currently a Xenon for sale on ebay but it seems to be from an industrial application and does have the pentagonal aperture blades unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
blotafton wrote:
simple.joy wrote:

Beautiful rendering!

Thank you! Yes, I like the rendering of that lens a lot. I‘ve only compared them directly once but from my impression from shooting both quite a bit, I‘m pretty sure they‘re identical optically. Perhaps coatings vary (but most likely due to production year rather than differences between the models) and some of the Xenons do have a unique body with different aperture blades.

There‘s currently a Xenon for sale on ebay but it seems to be from an industrial application and does have the pentagonal aperture blades unfortunately.

Thanks a lot for the information! I found the Xenon, maybe it's difficult to adapt that version. But I also found your Componon, maybe I should get it instead!

I don't really mind the pentagonal bokeh, hexagon is my favorite config. The more important thing for me is that the blades open fully. On some Componons and EL Nikkors they don't so I don't use them often.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

Thanks a lot for the information! I found the Xenon, maybe it's difficult to adapt that version. But I also found your Componon, maybe I should get it instead!

I don't really mind the pentagonal bokeh, hexagon is my favorite config. The more important thing for me is that the blades open fully. On some Componons and EL Nikkors they don't so I don't use them often.

It depends. It's possible that the lens cells are removable and then you can get a cheap donor lens and put them in there... If that's impossible, it could be more challenging.

Sure! I don't want to plug/advertise the lenses I'm selling here, but if you're interested let me know, so can make you a better offer! And alternatively, I can also keep my eyes open for a decently priced non-modified Componon 35 mm and let you know in case I find one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Shot with a Schneider Kreuznach Radionar 80 mm f/2.9)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
blotafton wrote:

It depends. It's possible that the lens cells are removable and then you can get a cheap donor lens and put them in there... If that's impossible, it could be more challenging.

Sure! I don't want to plug/advertise the lenses I'm selling here, but if you're interested let me know, so can make you a better offer! And alternatively, I can also keep my eyes open for a decently priced non-modified Componon 35 mm and let you know in case I find one.

I'm intrigued, PM sent.

And great with that Radionar!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this thread is going at a fast rate. Lots of nice stereos have been posted when I was away on vacation. Well done! My vacation was a relax-at-the-beach-only-trip, so nothing really interesting to see. However even Hotel architecture is worth shooting in 3D. Also, I remembered simple.joy's experiments shooting out of a moving train and tried to do the same from a plane. I worked quite well, but see for yourselves:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backsidewalkaround wrote:
I remembered simple.joy's experiments shooting out of a moving train and tried to do the same from a plane. I worked quite
well, but see for yourselves:

I certainly did! Those clouds are fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
I remembered simple.joy's experiments shooting out of a moving train and tried to do the same from a plane. I worked quite
well, but see for yourselves:

I certainly did! Those clouds are fantastic.

Thank you! All very easy. Hold the camera to the window - klick, klick. That way I certainly stayed straighter than with the usual cha cha method. Only next time I'll try to be bolder with the time between the klicks in order to get more effect when shooting the island below.

Here's some more:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this thread is going at a fast rate. Lots of nice stereos have been posted when I was away on vacation. Well done! My vacation was a relax-at-the-beach-only-trip, so nothing really interesting to see. However even Hotel architecture is worth shooting in 3D. Also, I remembered simple.joy's experiments shooting out of a moving train and tried to do the same from a plane. I worked quite well, but see for yourselves:

Really wonderful shots - both the plane ones, as well as on the ground. Love the light in the pool shot and the more abstract window-frame compositions are very interesting to look at in 3D. Excellent work!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recent stereo experiments are pretty simple, everyday stuff, I'm afraid... still fun to do though:

(Shot with an E.L 60 mm (16 mm) projector lens)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only next time I'll try to be bolder with the time between the klicks in order to get more effect when shooting the island below.

When I am unsure about the stereo effect I want for a subject, I don't space just wide but I may shoot 4, rather than the usual 2, frames at different lateral displacements. There is no obligation to use any particular ones.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
My recent stereo experiments are pretty simple, everyday stuff, I'm afraid... still fun to do though:

Interesting how some background features remain straight right next to very curved distortion,

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Only next time I'll try to be bolder with the time between the klicks in order to get more effect when shooting the island below.

When I am unsure about the stereo effect I want for a subject, I don't space just wide but I may shoot 4, rather than the usual 2, frames at different lateral displacements. There is no obligation to use any particular ones.

Yeah, I sometimes do that too, but it always bugs me later, because I tend to use batch processing in SPM and if I shot 3 frames everything gets mixed up. I know, that's just an inconvenience, but usually I produce quite a few pictures, so one that is not to be underestimated.
I did 3 shots with some of the cloud images, but where I should have done so is with the images of the island (like I said before). Next year I'll be sure to remember (hopefully).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
simple.joy wrote:

Interesting how some background features remain straight right next to very curved distortion,

Crazy swirls, yet nice stereo. I like them both very much!