Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

35mm focal lens with the most micro contrast, BUT Compact...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 35mm focal lens with the most micro contrast, BUT Compac Reply with quote

Crazy Leica Fox wrote:
immortalblue wrote:
Zeiss ZM, I took a look, I found the 1.4 (that i am in love with, but it is too big)
There is also the two Biogon, the 2.8 and the 2
IF I would not have care at all about the compactness I would have go for the ZF.2 f/2 Distagon ahahah

Leica, I found nothing I'm in love with.

Voigt, the nokton 1.2 ASPH III and ultron 1.7 ASPH are not enough compact unfortunatly
I still have theses 4 lenses in my list but for the moment I saw no pictures with the "wow" effect I'm looking for :
f/1.4 nokton VM II, I am even not sure I am in this type of look for the moment (I have other nokton already)
f/1.5 nokton aspherical I & II Vintage Line with 4 apsherical
f/2 ultron aspherical II Vintage Line
f/2.5 color skopar P-Type II, seems similar to biogon 2.8

You said the ZM f/1.4 is too large, but what's wrong with the f/2 and f/2.8 Biogons? The ZM f/2.8 C-Biogon is the first lens that came to my mind when reading your post. You also might consider the Zeiss Contax-G 35mm f/2 Planar. This lens requires an adapter that can focus, or you can sometimes find it rehoused in a Leica M-mount lens body.

I would also take a couple of the modern Voigtlanders in M-mount seriously. The 35mm f/2 Ultron is sharp, high contrast, and tiny. No lens is perfect, and the downsides most people cite for the 35mm Ultron are harsh bokeh and heavy vignetting. However, neither of those are relevant for you shooting at small apertures on APS-C, so I guess that means this lens is perfect! Laughing If you want a little wider, Voigtlander also has a 28mm f/2 Ultron II that receives pretty much universal praise as one of the sharpest 28mm lenses ever made, gaining more fans than Voigtlander's 35mm Ultron. You can find lots of discussions, comparisons, and reviews of these Voigtlanders on the Leica forum at Fred Miranda .com

There are many great SLR 35's, but none of them are compact once you add the required adapter. For example, I might recommend the Pentax-M 35mm f/2.8, which is a tiny lens that's sharp to the edges on full frame, except it's no longer tiny when on a K-mount to mirrorless adapter.

> The ZM f/2.8 C-Biogon is the first lens that came to my mind when reading your post.

euh, there is no purples fringe if I am using this one on a fuji? cause i thought so

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 35mm focal lens with the most micro contrast, BUT Compac Reply with quote

immortalblue wrote:
> The ZM f/2.8 C-Biogon is the first lens that came to my mind when reading your post.

euh, there is no purples fringe if I am using this one on a fuji? cause i thought so

I haven't heard of that before, but I don't own any digital fuji cameras. A quick search online for this lens and purple fringing yielded a couple reviews:

https://joerivanderkloet.com/zeiss-c-biogon-352-8-review/

that says "The Zeiss 35/2.8 is almost error free. There’s no colour fringing, no distortion, just a little bit of fall-off, nothing much really."

and this review: https://www.kenrockwell.com/zeiss/zm/35mm-f28.htm

that says "There are no color fringes as used on a LEICA M9."

For whatever that's worth.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion, but take a look at this: The slim EM-10iii with a Zuiko 28mm f2.8 plus adapter next to a Sony Alpha 7ii with a 40mm f1.8 Hexanon. Sorry, I don´t have a compact 35mm lens to prove the point better; but the 28 is just the same size as the 35mm f2.8 Zuiko (and the 35mm f3.5, too).

Honestly, I think the problem is not the camera body, but the adapter/lens contraption protruding from it. The Fuji camera, like my little EM-10, might be a tad smaller than the Alpha, but any adapter for vintage Japanese SLR primes adds at least 22.8mm to your setup; that is, if you find Hexanons to your liking. The K/AR Mount has the shortest register distance of them all, 40.5mm. Add a common 50mm or 35mm lens to that and it looks like a short tele and is chunky in your bag.

I guess your best shot is looking at Leica M-Mount lenses. That system is on the market since 1954 and has a register distance of just 28.8mm, adding only 10.1mm for an adapter. Minolta, Konica, Voigtlander and Zeiss made lenses for Leica M-Mount, but had their own names for the mount.
Or you just stick with the Sony and look for a good pancake, preferably from a manufacturer with a short flange focal distance, like Konica, Canon or Minolta, to keep the adapter slim; their respective register distances are 40.5mm, 42mm and 43.5mm.

That particular Hexanon pancake, btw., is my preferred lens for light traveling. It is a dirt cheap, but nevertheless very good lens. Probably not exactly that micro contrast monster you´re looking for, but it certainly delivers solid results with good colours and a certain 3-D-pop. I haven´t played with micro contrast yet, but I think it´s something that requires, next to a good lens, a certain light and the right motive. The only image from my 40mm Hexanon where I found a little of that micro contrast look is here, in the tree trunks to the right.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Nice dog! off topic -- what are those white flowers?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vis,
It’s called Christmas Rose, says my wife the botanist. Smile

The dog is from my father in law. Very nice characters she has Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised about a c mount lens. I doubt that will cover aps c let alone full frame?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The Fujinon 1.7/35 c mount lens is superb, best of all, it's dirt cheap.

Of similar specs but much pricier, the EBC Fujinon 35mm 1.9 in m42 is a lovely lens as well.