Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

300mm Mirror Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having experience with the Hanimex, I could only speculate - and with skepticism. Perhaps a bad copy or not from the same manufacturer.

A friend nearby purchased a Cambron 5.6/300 after I told him I was reasonably sure it was the same lens as Ohnar. It is the style where there is a limited aperture selection. Ohnar has that version too and I've also seen it with the Travenon name. After comparing images, his Cambron is the equal of my Ohnar. I have not been able to make any other direct comparisons with the other brands but will in coming weeks. I have a Super Danubia, which I will be receiving and believe to be the same as Ohnar.

It remains a mystery to me who actually made the lenses. Ohnar seems to have only been an accessory supplier with some few lenses as exceptions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a good use for my 5.6/300mm CELESTRON - using a eyepiece adapter for birdwatching
for our Easter trip to Majorca, Spain to some wetlands near Alcudia. Very small, light and a high
magnification.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot of the Waterhouses Cement works this morning with the little Chinon 300mm/5.6. The shot was always going to be low contrast due to the sun and mist, therefore it was always going to be very highly processed, but I'm still impressed with the detail it picked out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's beautiful. I think the best use of mirror lenses is long distance work like that where there are no oof areas and none of the horrible donut bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus & Ian. This lens gave me a new problem to deal with; "dust spot donuts"! I had to make about 20 horseshoe shaped corrections with a spot healing brush...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
Thank you Klaus & Ian. This lens gave me a new problem to deal with; "dust spot donuts"! I had to make about 20 horseshoe shaped corrections with a spot healing brush...

Ha! Yes, mirrors are dust finders. Please do give the lens a better chance of showing colors and sharpness potential.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:

Ha! Yes, mirrors are dust finders. Please do give the lens a better chance of showing colors and sharpness potential.

If the colours come out to play, I'll give it a go!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about colours, that BW shot is far better than anything else in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a colour shot from this morning with the Chinon. ISO 640, edited in LR, just Whites & Blacks, no added contrast, Sony A7 II. Keen eyes will see that Andrew is using a helicoid adapter to reduce the MFD of the Canon 50/1.4 LTM39.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the shot he took with the Canon, you will all be pleased to know that I scolded him for burning out the highlights in the shot, I then had to retract the scolding when my version of the shot also had burnt out highlights...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Simon. The lens looks quite decent.I've found that the colors and contrast are very good as long as the lens is shaded from the sun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Thanks, Simon. The lens looks quite decent.I've found that the colors and contrast are very good as long as the lens is shaded from the sun.
Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Antoine wrote:

I have a Elicar 300 mm 5.6 and thought it was probably a rebranding from another RF 300mm like the Makinon. Does anybody know about this lens provenance?

It is very difficult to find good history on these lenses but you are right that many, if not all, are branded other than manufacture name. I have looked at many of the 300mm versions and observed a few things. The Ohnar also had a version with aperture selection that really accomplished nothing good other than dimming. I saw a Cambron model, with aperture selection, for sale and noted the similarities to the Ohnar. I directed a friend to it, he purchased, and sure enough, it is basically the same lens and equal to my Onar in IQ. There is an assortment of other brands that I believe are the same as the Ohnar.

An important distinction between the Ohnar-like versions and the Makinon is the distance at infinity. The numbers just prior to infinity on the Makinon are 50/15 feet/meter. The Ohnar and its like are 100/30. I suspect that relates to both the MFD of the Makinon and the sensitive focusing.

The Elicar says 100 feet 30 m, 50 feet 15 m, 30 feet 10 meter, down to 8 f 2.5 m so I suppose it is a bit Ohnar like/
Focusing rotates on for about 240 degrees

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to start a sister thread about 500mm mirror lenses. I already have a Maksutov thread but will make this one about all 500mm mirrors. Since this 300mm thread has included some 500mm examples, it will hopefully be useful. I'll have three 500mm lenses to contribute to the thread.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have four 500mm mirror lenses, Zeiss Mirotar, Olympus, Tokina, and Rubinar.
A good excuse to dust of the cobwebs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of my most recent Ohnar 300mm images.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Makes me wish I had an Ohnar, and your ability.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That heron shot is fantastic, Woodrim!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty poor to me, lacking contrast and vibrancy and the bokeh is really nasty in some shots, that last one of the Racoon especially, it looks muddy, flat and the bokeh is very nervous.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Looks pretty poor to me, lacking contrast and vibrancy and the bokeh is really nasty in some shots, that last one of the Racoon especially, it looks muddy, flat and the bokeh is very nervous.

Ian, did you look at image three - yes it has the characteristic donuts - as from any mirror lens, but the sharpness, contrast and colour saturation are wonderful.
Mirror lenses are not all things in all situations and sometimes they may limp, but when they do perform well the results are excellent.
This one has real potential I think
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three looks okay, but it's in a high contrast lighting situation, even a poor lens can do well when the light is right.. Five is in flatter, duller light and there the lens doesn't perform well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the racoon pic is superb, it portrays aptly the soft lighting one would expect on the forest floor.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first images from Super Danubia 5.6/300, which I believe to be the same lens as Ohnar.