Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3 x 55mm lens test on Oly E-P1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: 3 x 55mm lens test on Oly E-P1 Reply with quote

I had some spare time today so I decided to do a 55mm lens test on my Oly E-P1. These are the three lenses I used:

Left: SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8
Middle: Super-Takumar 55mm f/2.0
Right: Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 macro

Because of the relatively small micro fourthirds sensor format, I figured it would not really be usefull to investigate corner performance.
I cropped each image to a small section, so make comparison easier.

This picture shows the crop area I used:

Distance from the lens to the subject is approximately 3,5 meters (=about 11 feet). The comparison (sorry, you'll have to scroll for this one):

Conclusion:
I think it's safe to say that all three lenses are good performers.
Differences between the lenses in terms of optical performance (in this test) are minimal.
If I had to choose 1 winner, I think it'll be the Takumar 55/2.0.
I think the small black letters against a white background are rendered best with this lens.
The same counts for the dark letters on the red background (Frank Sinatra's Great American Songbook).
Feel free to draw your own conclusions, maybe you disagree.

In some difficult lighting situations however, the SMC Takumar 55/1.8 may be the winner, due to it's superior coating.
The Vivitar, being a true macrolens, will probably excel with close subjects. Nevertheless, it's a sound performer with more distant subjects as well.
All three lenses are of superbly built. Focusing is slightly smoother on both Takumars, but the aperture ring is smoother on the Vivitar.
Obviously, both Takumars are considerably smaller than the Vivitar.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice test, but a comparison at 4 or 5.6 might have shown different results. After all, the Vivitar is wide open at 2.8.
The last time I compared, my Panagor (which is the same lens as the Viv) at 4 and 5.6 smoked my Super Tak 55/1.8 and all my other 50ish lenses in terms of sharpness.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll to the right, you'll also find comparisons at f/5.6 and f/8.

In fact, considering the Viv, I know what you mean. I also took a few pictures with the Vivitar that blew me away, but I believe those were at closer focus (approx. 2 meter). Maybe I'll do another test at approx. 1 meter distance tomorrow. Maybe I'll also add my Rikenon XR 50/2.0 to the test (my PK adapter can arrive any day). Got some spectacular results with it occasionally.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Oops, stupid me.
My display is just big enough for showing the pics up to 2.8 without scrolling and I did not notice the horizontal scrolling bar.

Anyways, the comparison I did was at a distance of about 15 meters. Far from infinity, but for this focal length I would already call that mid to long distance and the Panagor was noticeably sharper. But maybe I was just lucky with my copy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, at 15 meters, that's interesting.
Check my other topic where I've added the Rikenon 50/2.0 and tested the lenses at closer distance:
http://forum.mflenses.com/55mm-comparison-and-rikenon-xr-50-2-0-and-performance-at-1-meter-t34033.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar rules!