Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1978 SLR camera directory
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: 1978 SLR camera directory Reply with quote

From Modern Photography, 1978. SLRs only - I like how they have drawings of the view finders. The prices are fictitious 'suggested retail' prices - everything sold for less.

As usual, click on the pic to go to the flickr page, where a large version is available.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny to see the original prices of these cameras now that we know how they have evolved. Thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Nesster.
So I learned the Canon A-1 is sold at US$595.
And 30 years later, this generation will talk about the 5DII and D700.... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:

And 30 years later, this generation will talk about the 5DII and D700.... :wink:

Unfortunately it is rather doubtful that these devices will a) last in use for 30 years, or b) be in any way desirable other than for a museum after that time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sprang to mind the other day that the thing that will probably kill the current range of cameras will be the batteries and memory cards. Once those cease to be available the cameras will become useless.

I remember poring for hours over the descriptions of these cameras before finally settling for an ME Super. It was a good decision - I'm currently waiting for an M42-Pentax K adapter to arrive and then I will be able to take it to India with some Velvia as a back-up for my 5D Mk2. And, of course, the M42 lenses will fit both.