Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

150 lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Mike Deep wrote:
The slow Taks are all safe bets.

$104 strikes me as too pricey for what it is, though. I paid $25 for mine. What part of the world are you in?

From Argentina/Uruguay. South America.

If I bought it from other country, I have to pay a penality because I send u$S outside my country, So the lens could became excessively expensive. Also, the market is very small, so very few lenses in it.

Outcome, few lenses and expensive. Bad formula to buy lenses.

Really, so for example, up to $50 for same lens in US + up to $30 international shipping + up to $24(!) money transfer penalty total is near same as price for lens in your country.

I'm not a business man. Isn't this where they create demand and enlarge the market by asking every community in the country "have any old camera equipment? Highest prices paid!".

Later, your market might need more lenses from abroad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very cheapest first rate 150 I can think of are the 8/150 and 9/150 repro lenses, zeiss, schneider, rodenstock, fujitsu, ross, wray, kodak, they all made them. The hidden gem in price terms though are the Staeble made ones that come under all kinds of brandings - Staeble, Agfa, Ultragon, Eskofot etc. etc. They are ultra sharp and being repro lenses, truly apo. Slow of course, but really stunning quality.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

I have three 150 recommendations, all of which I use.

1) The Hasselblad 150mm f/4 Sonnar (I have an older chrome one) is superb on the A7 mII. I love the subtle sharpness at f/4 and the smooth bokeh. I have Canon EOS bodies as well, so I go Hassy->Eos adapter -> E-mount adapter for the A7. About $150 - $250 USD depending on condition. These are often even more reasonable if the interlines shutter needs work, which is of no consequence if you are going to use in on digital.

2) The NIkkor Series E 75-150mm f/3.5 zoom. The Series E lens don't have the build quality of the NAI/AI/AIS Nikkors, but they are optically excellent, and the 75-150 is no exception to that rule. $50 - $100 USD

3) As mentioned earlier, the Asahi Super-Multicoated-Takumar 150mm f/4. Really sharp and those beautiful Takumar colors. Also probably the least prone to flare of the bunch. $100 - $150 USD

All the best,

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Kaleinar 3B 150mm 2.8 (Kiev/Pentacon-six) may be an interesting option. It is not too expensive and brighter than most other options.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
papasito wrote:
Mike Deep wrote:
The slow Taks are all safe bets.

$104 strikes me as too pricey for what it is, though. I paid $25 for mine. What part of the world are you in?

From Argentina/Uruguay. South America.

If I bought it from other country, I have to pay a penality because I send u$S outside my country, So the lens could became excessively expensive. Also, the market is very small, so very few lenses in it.

Outcome, few lenses and expensive. Bad formula to buy lenses.

Really, so for example, up to $50 for same lens in US + up to $30 international shipping + up to $24(!) money transfer penalty total is near same as price for lens in your country.

I'm not a business man. Isn't this where they create demand and enlarge the market by asking every community in the country "have any old camera equipment? Highest prices paid!".

Later, your market might need more lenses from abroad.

In the 90's a lot of sellers had written in shutterbug offering lenses to other markets.

In this way our market became very reduced.

And a little detail, it seems to be more collectors than photographers here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The very cheapest first rate 150 I can think of are the 8/150 and 9/150 repro lenses, zeiss, schneider, rodenstock, fujitsu, ross, wray, kodak, they all made them. The hidden gem in price terms though are the Staeble made ones that come under all kinds of brandings - Staeble, Agfa, Ultragon, Eskofot etc. etc. They are ultra sharp and being repro lenses, truly apo. Slow of course, but really stunning quality.

Thank you again, iangreenhalgh1

An apo lens is a very good option

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Hey there,

I have three 150 recommendations, all of which I use.

1) The Hasselblad 150mm f/4 Sonnar (I have an older chrome one) is superb on the A7 mII. I love the subtle sharpness at f/4 and the smooth bokeh. I have Canon EOS bodies as well, so I go Hassy->Eos adapter -> E-mount adapter for the A7. About $150 - $250 USD depending on condition. These are often even more reasonable if the interlines shutter needs work, which is of no consequence if you are going to use in on digital.

2) The NIkkor Series E 75-150mm f/3.5 zoom. The Series E lens don't have the build quality of the NAI/AI/AIS Nikkors, but they are optically excellent, and the 75-150 is no exception to that rule. $50 - $100 USD

3) As mentioned earlier, the Asahi Super-Multicoated-Takumar 150mm f/4. Really sharp and those beautiful Takumar colors. Also probably the least prone to flare of the bunch. $100 - $150 USD

All the best,

Paul

Thanks pdccameras.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I think the Kaleinar 3B 150mm 2.8 (Kiev/Pentacon-six) may be an interesting option. It is not too expensive and brighter than most other options.

In the 90's shutterbug made a comparison between the Rusia and CZJ Mendes.
And there, the Kaleinar beats the Biometar
MC 120 mm un sharpness and contrast.

Thanks D1N0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
sergtum wrote:
There's an Meyer 150mm too. It's a Telemegor.

A tiny liitle beast, very well machined, but of course not up to today's optical standards:

S

I saw a modern version for edixa? I think so.

Beautiful lens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's its larger brother - the Meyer Görlitz Telemegor 5.5/400mm. The lens arrived just today; i bought it after it had been sitting around in a web store for considerable time. Obviously nobody had been interested, and i feared the owner would throw it away. Finally i decided to get it even though i'm not really collecting German lenses ...

Sorry for the thread drift, but these lenses are too nice Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Perhaps Schneider 150 for robot camera.

The Robot Star 26mm mount version will vignette on full frame, even the larger 30mm Robot Royal mount still has slightly dark corners. Odd, as the shorter Tele Xenar lenses (75, 90 and 100mm) don't vignette on full frame in the Royal mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Here's its larger brother - the Meyer Görlitz Telemegor 5.5/400mm. The lens arrived just today; i bought it after it had been sitting around in a web store for considerable time. Obviously nobody had been interested, and i feared the owner would throw it away. Finally i decided to get it even though i'm not really collecting German lenses ...

Sorry for the thread drift, but these lenses are too nice Wink

S

Nice lens!!!!
Nice x 1000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
papasito wrote:

The Robot Star 26mm mount version will vignette on full frame, even the larger 30mm Robot Royal mount still has slightly dark corners. Odd, as the shorter Tele Xenar lenses (75, 90 and 100mm) don't vignette on full frame in the Royal mount.

Thank you dickb.

IT's very difficult to me to recognice which 75 or 90 mm tele xenar can be use in FF camera.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
dickb wrote:
papasito wrote:

Thank you dickb.

IT's very difficult to me to recognice which 75 or 90 mm tele xenar can be use in FF camera.

The Robot lenses come in two main mounts, Robot Star 26mm screw mount intended for 24*24mm negatives iirc and Robot Royal 31mm interrupted screw mount, intended for 24*36mm. The 26mm mount causes vignetting on full frame cameras, just like the 25mm Cmount does.

If you can see the rear of the lens, an uninterrupted screw means it's the 26mm Star mount, if you see three prongs it's the 31mm Royal mount.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a quite rare SMC Pentax 150/4, the ‘K’ series. Never really took it out for a test, but the people on Pentax forums love it. Could it optically be identical to the Takumar?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for Robot Schneider, Tele-Xenar 150mm f5.5 can be found also in Exakta bayonet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I have a quite rare SMC Pentax 150/4, the ‘K’ series. Never really took it out for a test, but the people on Pentax forums love it. Could it optically be identical to the Takumar?

Yes, if lens diagrams can be believed. Several M42 S-M-C and SMC Takumar designs were put into SMCPentax K-mount lenses.

The only way to know for sure is to compare actual lens elements. There could also be variations within the same model designation.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-150mm-F4-Lens.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Takumar-150mm-F4.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
papasito wrote:
dickb wrote:
papasito wrote:

Thank you dickb.

The Robot lenses come in two main mounts, Robot Star 26mm screw mount intended for 24*24mm negatives iirc and Robot Royal 31mm interrupted screw mount, intended for 24*36mm. The 26mm mount causes vignetting on full frame cameras, just like the 25mm Cmount does.

If you can see the rear of the lens, an uninterrupted screw means it's the 26mm Star mount, if you see three prongs it's the 31mm Royal mount.

Thank you, very much.
Very informative

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Yes, if lens diagrams can be believed. Several M42 S-M-C and SMC Takumar designs were put into SMCPentax K-mount lenses.

The only way to know for sure is to compare actual lens elements. There could also be variations within the same model designation.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-150mm-F4-Lens.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Takumar-150mm-F4.html

AFAIK the K version was made at least with the same SMC IQ or better.
Better coated for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were celebrating the # 150 lens in your property Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took some test shots in my back garden with the SMC Pentax 150mm f/4. I think I like it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79

Great images!!!!!!

Did you use PP for CA or sharpening?

Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
caspert79

Great images!!!!!!

Did you use PP for CA or sharpening?

Thanks for sharing

No, I didn't. I slightly corrected exposure in RAW, and played a tiny bit with the levels. I suspect this is optically similar to the SMC Takumar 150/4.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why you like it Casper, those images are stunning, thanks for sharing.

The only SMC Taks I've used were some mundane ones like the 2/50, 1.7/50 and 3.5/135 and all those really impressed me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I can see why you like it Casper, those images are stunning, thanks for sharing.

The only SMC Taks I've used were some mundane ones like the 2/50, 1.7/50 and 3.5/135 and all those really impressed me.

This lens has basically been laying in my cabinet for a couple of years. I think I will take it out some more.