Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

135mm comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: 135mm comparison Reply with quote

Camera:
Nikon D7000

Lens:
    - Soligor 135mm f1.8 made by Sun in 1969 (with dots)
    - Vivitar Series 1 135mm f2.3 made by Komine in M42 mount with glassless adapter (lens from 70's , optics in really bad condition and no VMC)
    - Ais Nikon 135mm f2.8 Serie E (from 80's)
    - Jupiter 37A 135mm f3.5 MC made by KOMZ in 1986
    - Af Nikon 80-200mm f4.5-5.6 D (from 90's) with broken chip

100% center crop here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44644819/DSC_8663.JPG
Stardard Picture Control with sharpness set to 0
White balance set to direct sun
ISO 100

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last three are quite creditable aren't they.
The zoom is the surprise for me - excellent
OH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a comparison like this is, first of all, no two lenses share the same maximum aperture, second we can't examine corner sharpness, third other things I can't think about at the moment.

So I did the only sensible thing. I scrolled down to f/8 and made a straight across comparison. Hey, f/8 is where people will use their lenses at mostly anyway. So it's best to examine the lenses where they are most likely gonna be used. The results as I see them:

The far left lens, the 135/1.8 is, predictably, the softest of the lot. The next lens, the S1 Vivitar has the lowest contrast of the lot. Then the next three lens's have photos that are so close to each other they look as if they were all taken with the same lens. Sharpness is virtually identical, as is contrast.

So this means that, at f/8, the Nikon Series E, the Jupiter 37A MC, and the Nikon Zoom will all take basically identical photos. And, I'm outa here . . .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Michael said..... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will share also other test with same lens at different focus distance.

Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see some of the Zeiss lenses in this test

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Srdjan wrote:
It would be nice to see some of the Zeiss lenses in this test

But this is a poor man test , I have no Zeiss 135mm .

I also own a Vivitar Tele Auto 135mm f2.8 for Konica ( not good ) and a Soligor Auto 135mm f2.5 with a stange interchargeble mount but is bad as the 1.8.

I think my Jupiter is a lemon , do you think it too?