Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

12-30-11, Part 1, SOMA near Civic Center and Hayes Valley
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: 12-30-11, Part 1, SOMA near Civic Center and Hayes Valley Reply with quote

Friday was slow and afforded me to take a longer walk down... some street I forget the name of... from SOMA onto the edge of the Hayes Valley, Civic Center, and Mission Districts. A couple blocks in any direction and this area becomes one of San Francisco's sketchier places. But, there are some interesting things to photograph in that area. Gear was a Nikon F3, 43-86mm telephoto, and a red filter. TMax 400 developed in 27-year-old Dektol for nine minutes.

As always, here is the entire album: https://picasaweb.google.com/102333270936007447976/SF123011

I don't know much about motorcycles, but this one looked neat.

Straight outta the camera, postprocessed only to crop square.

Postprocessed to increase contrast only. The TMax performed well given the weather, which was extremely overcast.

Peeling paint, but also a Rorshach test. I see a face.

The griffin statue, at 8th and Townsend, was a nice treat and I didn't know it was there when I began my walk. It turned out to be the best subject on that roll providing contrasts and textures despite the lighting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very unique motorcycle, nice capture.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality is not good to me, dark, grainy... not up to your standard.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to blame the F3. The batteries were low and all the rolls (even the color) came out off. It was also VERY overcast and the 400 ISO at f4-5.6 needed exposures in the 1/30th and 1/60th range. Also, the developer could use some replenishing as these should have been rolls 14-16 from that gallon, if I counted correctly. At least my scanner didn't add any noise!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overcast day enough to make bad looking images. For good B&W also need perfect light as possible. I had same experience even with ISO 100 film , no light , no good shoots this is my general conclusion.