Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1.4 50mm lens for EOS 450D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

A Takumar would be simplest, but I am intrigued by a Rokkor, not least because of the three other Rokkors I have, all three are wonderful lenses (MD 2/45, Rokkor-PF 1.7/50, W-Rokkor-Sg 3.5/3Cool

I just got an MD 50/1.4 and literally shot a few quick samples today. I'm quite impressed with it. However, my copy has fungus so not sure whether it is affecting the overall quality (sharpness, etc). The oof area rendering is quite nice and pronounced.

Here two samples with my E-P2 I shot this evening, first wide open and other at 2.8. Good luck with your hunt!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian , another option would be the older version of the Minolta 58 1.4. The mount is held on with screws on the back, so you should be able to modify a M42 EOS adapter to replace the mount. Ther is a couple guides on the net. i will look for them later and post them after I get back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlander 58/1.4 is very sharp wide open. Can be found in many mount, new or used, but a bit costly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

Walter, you're the Minolta variants expert, which of the Rokkor 1.4s do you recommend for IQ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the common lens mounts, the only ones worth considering (because of being able to focus to infinity, and it's easy to get adaptors for EF/EOS) are the Olympus OM mount (50 F1.4 & F1.8 ) , Nikon and of course M42. You can also get these adaptors with a focus confirm chip as well.

While there are lots of other great lenses (Minolta MC/MD, Konica, etc), they do not focus to infinity, and the adaptors are more difficult to find because of this reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers guys.

Walter, you're the Minolta variants expert, which of the Rokkor 1.4s do you recommend for IQ?

I'm not Walter Wink but I've tested a lot of "standard" F1.4 lenses.

The best Minolta lenses for sharpness and lack of CA, in my opinion, is the Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm F1.4
The MC & MD Rokkor 50mm F1.4 are some short distance behind, but the 58mm is better, however the contrast is a bit better with the MC & MD 50mm . (the coatings vary between the older and newer MC 58mm, so the contrast is best in the newer ones)

The older Auto Rokkor lenses are not nearly as good. For example, the MC Rokkor 58mm F1.4 is a lot better than the Auto Rokkor 58mm F1.4

And one of the best of any of the older lenses is the Canon FD 50mm F1.4 SSC. Superb sharpness, and contrast, but not adaptable to the EF mount.(without glass & focus to infinity)

Last edited by dnas on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I'll keep my eye out for that 58 then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I briefly tried my Miranda 1.4/50 again today, light was crap. All wide open.

I think I might as well get this converted to EOS as buy another 1.4/50, it's sharp enough and I like the rendering.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all in crap light, good standard level.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miranda register distance, I believe is 41.50, so I don't think you could convert one.
The Minolta 58 1.4 is a very good choice.
They are out of stock, but Leitax makes a conversion kit for it.
http://leitax.com/Rokkor-lens-for-Canon-cameras.html

Jim makes kits for both the 58 1.4 and 50 1.4 and others. Very Happy
http://www.jimbuchananspace.com/Camera_Services.html

If you get a Minolta 50 1.4, the PF 50 1.4 would match the rendering of your 50 1.7.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Walter, that is great info.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered having my 50mm 1.4 ssc converted to eos a few times, it's pretty sharp and has good contrast wide open for a lens of its type although the bloom and bokeh CA can be a pain sometimes.

I was using it on my 5n the either day..

Cardiff Central by fatdeeman, on Flickr