Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zuiko 90mm f/2 macro vs Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Zuiko 90mm f/2 macro vs Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro Reply with quote

To avoid human error, I took each image 5 times while focusing in between. I used only the best images for this test.
Magnification factor is 1:10.

First, the Zuiko wide open (center)
Zuikocenterf2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Very sharp.

Center comparison @ f/2.8 (& f/2.5)
Center28 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Detail is very good from both lenses. The Olympus shows a bit more detail and contrast. Look at the letters in the left star.

Center comparison stopped down to f/5.6:
Center56 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Almost no difference. I would say the Olympus shows a tiny bit more detail, but nothing significant.

Then the corners. First the Zuiko wide open:
ZuikoCornerf2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Not quite as good as the center of course, but lots of detail already.

Comparison corners @ f/2.8 (& f/2.5):
Cornerf28 by devoscasper, on Flickr

At this aperture, the Zuiko is clearly superior. Also, the Zuiko has better corners at f/2 then the Tokina @f/2.5.
But what if we stop down to f/5.6?

Corner56 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Almost no difference here, but the Zuiko is slightly superior.

Quick bokeh comparison:
BokehComparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

Bokeh of both lenses is pleasant. With the Zuiko you're able to isolate your subject slightly more from the background. Unfortunately this image doesn't clearly show bokeh balls. The Tokina has 8 blades, the Oly 9 blades. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. The Tokina CAN show a bit of jigsaw pattern in bokeh balls at f/4, but usually they don't show up or it is very hard to see.

Purple fringing:
FringingA by devoscasper, on Flickr

Both lenses suffer from purple fringing wide open. @ f/2.8, the Zuiko's fringing is as good as gone. The Tokina displays fringing at f/2.5, but at f/4 this is gone.

Infinity test follow later.

Conclusion for now: both lenses are very sharp. In the center the differences are minimal, but the Zuiko is slightly better. In the corners the Zuiko is a significanlty better at wider apertures. When stopped down, these differences become very small though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I think the zuiko has just a little bit more contrast. The zuiko is probably more expensive but will probably retain most of that value. Is it worth the price difference? The Tokina might retain its value, but who knows? Full disclosure: I just bought a very nice copy of the zuiko.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test. Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Thanks! I think the zuiko has just a little bit more contrast. The zuiko is probably more expensive but will probably retain most of that value. Is it worth the price difference? The Tokina might retain its value, but who knows? Full disclosure: I just bought a very nice copy of the zuiko.

You often pay a high price for a relatively small improvement. The Tokina is definitely more bang for your buck, but the Zuiko is closer to perfection. The f/2 aperture makes it perfect for portraits. Weight and build quality are more or less the same.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a new king is crowned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Thank you! for test and sharing results! (I'd like to see where Tamron SP 1:2.5 / 90mm fits, though)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you if the Tamron is better than the Tokina, but I have a Tamron 90 f/2.5 52BB and it's optical excellence but mechanical crap.
I have gone through several copies and all of them were the same. They wouldn't stop down all the way to f/32. They would get at far as f/4 or f/5.6 and stop working. I found out that putting a piece of copper tape on the adapter around the cam allowed me to stop down to f/11 or f/16 and that was good enough. It seems that over time that cam sags a bit and you can't stop down completely. I tried a few different adapters so it wasn't the adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a macro corners wide open are totally irrelevant.

You don't shoot macro wide open anyway. Macro is a (at least) f8-f11 business.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasenbein wrote:

Well the results kind of speak for themselves, plus this is at 1:10, not 1:1.

caspert79, why are all the trees behind that fence post diagonal?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina may be more bang for the buck, but I'd buy the Zuiko as it looks a clear winner to me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paragon19 wrote:
hasenbein wrote:

Well the results kind of speak for themselves, plus this is at 1:10, not 1:1.

caspert79, why are all the trees behind that fence post diagonal?

I was planning to do an infinity test so I needed a subject in the far corner, but it happened not to be quite infinity. I will post a corrected infinity test now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here's the infinity test. For privacy reasons, I masked the building in front. Left center crops, right far corner crops.

First the Zuiko wide open:
ZuikoInfinityF2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Then the comparisons:
Infinityf28 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Infinityf4 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Infinityf56 by devoscasper, on Flickr

I would conclude that the Tokina does a good job, but is outperformed by the Zuiko.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasenbein wrote:

... unless you need really high resolution, of course.

S

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasenbein wrote:

Maybe not totally. How else to show flatness of field (lens curvature)?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
hasenbein wrote:

S

Well then you stop down.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
stevemark wrote:
hasenbein wrote:

S

Well then you stop down.

Macro corners at large aperture are certainly relevant for studio or copy work. For the field I agree that you will generally stop down but in the studio you have the luxury of shooting at wider apertures and especially for copy work the corners are critical.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
stevemark wrote:
hasenbein wrote:

S

Well then you stop down.

Macro corners at large aperture are certainly relevant for studio or copy work. For the field I agree that you will generally stop down but in the studio you have the luxury of shooting at wider apertures and especially for copy work the corners are critical.

There is also the luxury of stopping down and long exposures in the studio. For the field wider apertures provide faster shutter speeds necessary for some subjects. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

There is also the luxury of stopping down and long exposures in the studio. For the field wider apertures provide faster shutter speeds necessary for some subjects. Smile

Also a good point! I once used a Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro to photograph an owl branching out from the nest for the first time under some dense tree cover while a storm was moving in. I definitely needed the extra speed in those conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good close focus corner performance can increase creative possibilities. For instance super thin DOF where the subject of interest is in a corner. For classical macro shots (insects for instance) this may be not important. But as this lens is quite fast, it is IMO not made for classical macro only.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Good close focus corner performance can increase creative possibilities. For instance super thin DOF where the subject of interest is in a corner. For classical macro shots (insects for instance) this may be not important. But as this lens is quite fast, it is IMO not made for classical macro only.

The fact that this lens (which is designated as a macro lens and therefore presumably optimised for macro work) performs so well at long focus distances, suggests that it has a floating focus mechanism.

The below data extracted from mir.com.my seems to confirm that:

"Focusing: Straight Helicoid; provided for aberration correction at close working range"

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/macrozuikoE.htm

Judging from the OP's images, this really seems like a remarkable performer, and it may explain the high value on the used market (other than a relatively low number produced perhaps, I'm not a Zuiko expert).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more images of today with the Zuiko 90mm:

Zuiko902macroDSC09413 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Zuiko902macroDSC09396 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Zuiko902macroDSC09385 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Zuiko902macroDSC09394 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Zuiko902macroDSC09397 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Zuiko902macroDSC09391 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data at PhotonsToPhotos shows the lens moves the 3 rear-most lenses in a group for focusing. It also shows that the lens is optimized for 1:2 "macro" operation, not for infinity. It appears that the max aperture available at the corners is ~f4 at infinity, and around ~f2.5 at 1:2 (EA3.7).

https://www.photonstophotos.net//GeneralTopics/Lenses/OpticalBench/OpticalBench.htm

Unfortunately PTP does not have data (that I can find) on the Bokina to compare. Maybe someone else can find it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Some more images of today with the Zuiko 90mm:

Those look really nice.

Like 1