Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zuiko 50mm f1.8 strip?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Zuiko 50mm f1.8 strip? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a couple of these great lenses but one needs a strip and a clean. Has anyone got the info on how to strip, clean and re-build these Olympus lenses?

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern lenses like this one perhaps not easy. Many of them has glued elements if fungus inside between two tags mostly un-clenable at home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you mean the OM Zuiko Auto-S 50mm F1.8? (the small OM, manual focus lens??)

This lens is easy.

It is quite prone to having sticky aperture blades. The sticking is not so much on the blades themselves, but on the follower rings, and around the sliding machanism. Various surfaces that get coated with grease that has melted onto these parts.

Undo the front plastic cover using rubber friction.

The front elements are held in using 3 screws. Remove these and the aperture ring also comes off. Don't lose the ball bearing.

Remove the mount. Lift it off carefully and lay aside the two side "buttons"(one is the unlocking button, while the other is the sperture stop down button). Lift the two black aperture follower levers out together(and the silver part underneath), which are joined with a spring. If these have grease sticking them together, you may need to unclip the spring.

You now have access the the rear element group. Unscrew the rear group, and the rear element will come away. This also unlocks the next element which will just drop out, if you overturn the lens. Be careful not to do this accidentally. You now have access to the aperture assembly. You can unscrew 3 screws, lift the plastic and you have access to the aperture blades.

Clean the parts on the mount end, as these will often have melted grease on them. At this stage, you can either attempt to flush the remaining parts(in the aperture area) with ronsonol(etc), or remove the aperture assembly and clean each piece in turn.

When you reassemble, slide the aperture back and forth, so that it rests just near the "elbow" of its running slot. This will make it easier to reassemble.
When you put it back together. there is only really one trick.
Once you replace the two black aperture followers, before you replace the aperture stopdown button, push the silver part under the two black followers in, and seat it properly as you do so. Then replace stop down button, then the locking button.

Oh, and by the way, these lenses seem to be quite resistant to damage from fungus. I recently had one with a nasty concentrated point of fungus, surrounded by vicious looking tendrils, but it all cleans away with no damage to the coatings or glass at all !!!!!

Last edited by dnas on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here the exploded diagram of the F.Zuiko Auto S 50mm f1.8 : http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/PDFs/50mm_f1.8.pdf
Regards, Marty.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both for the info. There are some marks inside the front element so maybe I wont have to go too far in.

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad_Sunday wrote:
Thanks both for the info. There are some marks inside the front element so maybe I wont have to go too far in.

Pete

That should be easy!!

Just the front ring and three screws.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to remove a dent in the filter thread before I can unscrew the front cover Sad I'm working on making a dent remover first then I need to sort the rubber friction tool. The stop down button is missing, although I don't need this it would be nice to replace it while the lens is apart, can I order a new one from Olympus? Thanks for the help, I'll get back with the outcome.

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dnas,

I'm following your instruction to clean a Zuiko MC 50mm 1.4, which I believe have the same construction.
My lens have a big dust inside the rear element, now I'm at the setp "the element will drop out", but the dust is still further inside.
Could you please show me how to remove the next element?

Thank you,