Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zuiko 50mm 1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Zuiko 50mm 1.8 Reply with quote

Today arrived this lens I bought from ebay.
Unfortunately it wasn't so good as described Sad , there i some haze (internal I think) and it is somehow "cleaned".

I tried it and the results are these (silly 10 mins shots) :

Now I'm looking for a good one (for a good price I hope). I took these shots with my Nex 5R. Do you khow if there is also an adapter for the Alpha (Sony A580) ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty damn good to me!

There is no adapter for your Sony DSLR I'm afraid. That will only take M42 lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you apply sharpness in PP ?
On my screen it is too sharp !!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes with Lightroom, but why too sharp ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your pictures look a bit artificial to my taste. I prefer more delicacy , especially from legacy lenses.
A Zuiko 50 1.8 together with a NEX should give enough sharpness direct from the camera.
Of course it is a question of individual appreciation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which 50mm F1.8 is it?

There are 4 different types if I recall correctly.
F-Zuiko Auto-s (silver nose)
F-Zuiko Auto-s
Zuiko Auto-s MC Japan
Zuiko Auto-s Made in Japan

(on the front ring)

The last one is the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is auto-s mc Japan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot Oly for a while in the 1990s, and found the Zuiko 50mm f1.8 an exceptional lens. I switched from Nikon when I started doing a lot of medium format, and then size became a criterion for a 35mm camera and of course the OM-1 was tiny. So was the Pentax MX, and I really couldn't make up my mind so I kept both, and developed a system of lenses for both.

I'd get a clean copy, and also consider adding the Zuiko 21mm f3.5 and the Zuiko 100mm f2.8 to your stable. I got rid of everything else in Oly Land except these three lenses and a body and I still have them. I kept all of my Pentax stuff because I went Pentax digitally, and of course the backwards compatibility was the key factor in that decision.

The "too sharp" comment refers to a haze or harshness that occurs on a picture when too much unsharp mask or sharpening filter has been used. I do find yours on the edge, but unfortunately it's hard to tell how much to use ahead of time because different sites and the type of web they select definitely show the pictures posted to different degrees - I don't judge sharpness on screen except in the most general way because I've never seen a picture I've posted come out as sharp as the original on my computer.

Bear in mind, too, that screens only resolve to a maximum 2 megapixels or so, and thus the real sharpness you have is only visible on an enlargement.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moltogordo wrote:

I'd get a clean copy, and also consider adding the Zuiko 21mm f3.5 and the Zuiko 100mm f2.8 to your stable. I got rid of everything else in Oly Land except these three lenses and a body and I still have them. I kept all of my Pentax stuff because I went Pentax digitally, and of course the backwards compatibility was the key factor in that decision.

Thank you for the suggest. I received a refund for the bad lens and got another one (I'm still waiting for the new one). For the other two lenses they're very expensive compared to the 50 1.8. (300 euro vs 30/40).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 50 1.4 better to get than the 1.8 (if we can afford both).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Andrea,

I couldn't agree with memetph in terms of sharpness. Your photos are seriously sharp, but not oversharpened to my taste (there's no halos or artefacts). I agree that's very relative and subjective matter, and I prefer to watch properly sharp photos when watching them on monitor.
I agree however with moltogordo that real sharpness could be seen only on enlargement (or on 100% crops of the photos).

Could I ask you to post some more photos but with 100% crops as well when your new, clean lens arrives? I'm thinking of buying Zuiko 50 1.8 as some time ago I bought OM10 for peanuts and would like a cheap but v.good, normal lens for it.

Anyway the first one is so sweet it just gives me big smile on my face Very Happy

Cheers
Mateusz