Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zuiko 32mm for Pen EED
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Zuiko 32mm for Pen EED Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I'm happy to show you a D.I.Y that makes me happy these days.
I was looking for a fast 35mm for my GF1. A thread on a french lumix-forum made me interested about the old Pen's lenses... I knew they are very good but I knew too they became very expensive... While looking for a "cheap" one I found this :
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/xy9z/sets/72157625850431038/ Shocked
Mmmm, the hobbyist I am couldn't be indifferent...
So I found an old Pen EED on ebay (in fact I found two) not working and sold as is for 50€ and I made the adaptation.
I'm very happy with it, I much prefer 32mm than 20, 40 or 50 (on a µ4/3), and this one is very exciting, fast and very sharp at f/2,8 (almost as sharp as my 20mm Lumix, that is not the worst...) and nice at f/1,7.
Just two regrets, the focus ring is very small and close to the adapter ring, so focusing is not very confortable, I have to make another ring or modifying the existent one. Second there's only two blades for the diaphragm, making a square when closing... so the "bokeh" could be strange (but nevertheless interesting, specially for urban photography).

Showing the squared bokeh at f/2.8

f/1.7

f/4

Last edited by caribou on Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you share details on how you adapted the lens? I have the same camera in parts, and using its lens seems a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
and using its lens seems a good idea.
For sure, you won't regret it.

ludoo wrote:
Can you share details on how you adapted the lens?
Well, it could be difficult for me due to my poor english... Mostly I followed that is shown on the link I posted on the first message :
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/xy9z/sets/72157625850431038/

One of the lens (I bought two) was easy to extract but gave me some difficulties for adapting (I guess the lens has been already extract, adapted and modified), the other one was hard to extract but easy to adapt... For both I had to unscrew the optical part, give one or two turn of the support (on the helicoïd) in order to get the focus at infinity. Hard to describe for me but easy to do in facts.

I made another modification on one of these two lens, change a piece for a longer one that allows focusing to shorter minimum length (without loosing infinity of course), now I can focus at a minimum of 30cm instead of the originals 80cm...

Focusing at 30cm (f/1.7)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was wondering what adapter you used to attach the lens, and it's in our last picture.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, fantastic idea to rescue these old lenses! Is infinity focus achieved?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Should even be nicer on a half-frame=APS-C sensor, like the Nex. I will post an adaptation of an Agfa Color Solinar 2.8/30 I made. Beautiful how these old lenses turn out on modern camera's... I noticed prices of this old stuff rise as more and more people are discovering the secrets of old lens technology!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caribou wrote:
I made another modification on one of these two lens, change a piece for a longer one that allows focusing to shorter minimum length (without loosing infinity of course), now I can focus at a minimum of 30cm instead of the originals 80cm...

I recently fixed the focus-ring of my copy and it is in working condition again, could you describe how you made it that way?
Just remove the shorter one, turn the helicoid an extra round upwards, and put a longer one back in?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wink
Well, I don't remember the exact process but it is mainly like you described.
The new piece I've made is the brass one (instead of the "something like steel" one) on the last picture.

I have to say something, at this point it work well but there is nothing to stop the unscrewing of the focus ring, so there is a risk to totally unscrew it. Not a real bad problem but could be annoying when it happens out of the living room... I must put something to fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick response!

It doesn't stop anymore at the 80cm-mark? I thought because the helicoid gets up faster compared to the original placing the focussing range still would be 80cm to infinity, except mark 80cm would be 30cm real focus. If that isn't the case, any idea how to tackle that problem? Because close focus is nice. Smile

Are you sure the selfmade part is long enough? Edit: To think about it, it should be, otherwise rotating back would become a problem.