Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zhongyi Optics (Mitakon) new lenses for APS-C and M43
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Zhongyi Optics (Mitakon) new lenses for APS-C and M43 Reply with quote

They now have a new English website. Here is the link for the new 42.5mm f/1.2 and 24mm f/1.7

http://www.zyoptics.net/uncategorized/zhongyi-optics-announces-pricing-availability-of-two-new-lenses-for-mirrorless-cameras/

and they have a Booth in Photokina too.
http://www.zyoptics.net/uncategorized/zhongyi-optics-in-photokina/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very attractive price, exciting, thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast but rel. lightweight and affordable, very promising!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearly to good to be true really. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices are good, Zhongyi (difficult name) have some interesting things going on... I bet Chinese companies will give the Japs some real competition in the future Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Prices are good, Zhongyi (difficult name) have some interesting things going on... I bet Chinese companies will give the Japs some real competition in the future Surprised

I think their direct competitor is from Korean.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sample photos can be found here: http://www.fujirumors.com/hands-on-photos-of-the-mitakon-42-5mm-f1-2-24mm-f1-7-50mm-f0-95/
They're good for the price, but honestly the quality is not bad, but not good neither. Photos at wide open are really soft. I think their direct competitor is Samyang. I prefer Samyang lens, even though it's more expensive, but they're comparable, and even better than some famous lens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang has relative good for digital imaging optimized image quality.
Digital imaging optimized: Look at the distortion the 14mm has, not good for slide or neagtive, cause not correctably. Digital not that bad, as long as one does not need 100% straight lines, and don´t mind heavy correction.
But Samyang build quality and quality control is extreme bad - they would be good starting lenses for a company that does lens optimizing (like New Meyer Görlitz).

Here the new Mitakon lenses feels better, metal instead of plastics. I visited the booth at the Photokina, but had no fitting camera. The build quality was very good as I remember.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a news that there is a new portrait lens under development. We will know later if there is any progress.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A review for the 24mm is out. It seems the lens follows the tradition of Mitakon. Wink
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/zhongyi-freewalker-24mm-f-1-7-lens-review-26752

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the price is OK, but not spectacular. To put it into perspective, excellent Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake sells for about $350, is AF, is pancake, is Panasonic. From glancing at the charts and reading the review, Panasonic also performs substantially better. Granted, for NEX users the deck is stacked differently regarding 24/1.7. 45mm f1.2 is priced on the level of vintage 50mm 1.2 lenses, with what looks to be similar performance, but covers only APS-C.

On the positive side, I like that they've copied Leica lens design, the lens looks good and functional.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing that puts me off these modern primes is the quality control, or rather lack of it. Samyang are terrible in this regard, the majority of their lenses are decentred and faulty. How many copies do you have to go through to get a good one? Samsung have some issues too with a good number of their lenses being decentred as well. My sister bought the 30mm pancake for NX, which is a great lens if you get a good copy. Problem is, she went through four copies and they were ALL decentred. In the end, I gave her an old Minolta 28mm to use instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather pay for known good classic glass than play Russian Roulette with modern cheap stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The build quality of these new lens look OK to me and they have much better build than Samyang lens. The C/P ratio is not so high though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been many issues with the 50mm 0.95 FE-lens too, but it`s a good value lens if it`s a good copy Wink