Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenitar 50mm/F1.7 (domestic version) on Ricoh GXR-M
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Zenitar 50mm/F1.7 (domestic version) on Ricoh GXR-M Reply with quote

Today on my dog walk I decided to mount my latest acquisition to my Ricoh in order to test it a little bit (cheap M42 to Leica M adapter from Roxen/China).
This time I am refraining from pixel peeping mode to avoid discussions like "this or that Zeiss lens is a little bit sharper" or alike. Wink

All pictures are as usual just straight out of the camera and re-sized for presentation.
As this lens has a rather short MFD I didn't use distance rings or similar aids for the flower shots. So everything is just from the naked lens. I just used a Chinese universal rubber lens shade for 2 Euros in 52mm filter thread.

The lens itself was really not expensive as I imported it myself from Russia and no import tax or whatsoever have been applied. It is in a "like new" condition and according to serial number it was produced most probably in 1983 by KMZ.

The used aperture should be somehow visible, so I do not state it for every single picture, but several are also wide open at F1.7:

Last edited by tb_a on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely presentation of one of my favourite lenses in the 50mm range.
some real nice shots there

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Lovely presentation of one of my favourite lenses in the 50mm range.
some real nice shots there

Thank you very much!
I must say, that it fulfills my expectations more than 100%. Good glass for little money. Also the 0,45m MFD are very nice. I had a set of M42 rings with me but I didn't need anything like that. A little bit CA (purple fringing) is visible on the 3rd picture (F1.7) but nothing really earthshaking. Especially the bokeh is very nice for my taste. A very good deal! It will definitely stay in my collection.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens and very nice pictures! I really enjoy the bokeh- not too crazy and very smooth. Easy on the eyes.
I really wish I would have picked up this lens when I was in Eastern Europe :\
The dog photo is really nice, shows it's sharpness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenitar 50mm/F1.7 (domestic version) on Ricoh GXR-M Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
This time I am refraining from pixel peeping mode to avoid discussions like "this or that Zeiss lens is a little bit sharper" or alike. Wink

Sigh....

No-one ever said that. You posted a load of images that weren't very good in technical terms, no need to take it personally if people point out the obvious technical flaws.

This series from the Zenitar looks far better than what you posted before, which is how the Zenitar should be as it's perhaps the sharpest of all the legacy 50mm lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - I think Thomas has now noted your pronounced enthusiasm for pretty much any lens labelled Zeiss which, cumulatively, does come over pretty much as "Zeiss is Always Best". No need to sigh . . . it's just the cross an apostle has to bear Wink (My altar was built in Wetzlar!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenitar 50mm/F1.7 (domestic version) on Ricoh GXR-M Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
tb_a wrote:

Sigh....

No-one ever said that. You posted a load of images that weren't very good in technical terms, no need to take it personally if people point out the obvious technical flaws.

This series from the Zenitar looks far better than what you posted before, which is how the Zenitar should be as it's perhaps the sharpest of all the legacy 50mm lenses.

This was not addressed to you. Nevertheless I am rather sure that, if I had presented the pixel perspective, comparisons with other lenses would have been raised. As I can see the 100% comparison I can tell you that this lens is nothing spectacular in pixel peeping mode. However, people are more concentrating on the overall picture if presented like this. In that way, my new tactic worked out quite positively. That's psychology. Pixel peeping isn't important anyway. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
Very nice lens and very nice pictures! I really enjoy the bokeh- not too crazy and very smooth. Easy on the eyes.

Thank you for the compliment.

BTW, I bought this lens quite regular on Ebay for a fixed price including (worldwide) free house delivery from a dealer in Russia. There is no need to go to Russia to get such a lens. In Austria there is neither duty nor tax applicable for such low value items. I don't know about the U.S. but I think it cannot be very expensive if import charges are due at all. However the shipping process until delivery took more than 2 weeks. But also tracking number was provided. Everything worked out perfectly as usual. I never had troubles with Russian dealers. More so from the U.S. when they shipped my goods to Australia instead of Austria. This happened already several times to me!
So just buy it and be happy! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Ian - I think Thomas has now noted your pronounced enthusiasm for pretty much any lens labelled Zeiss which, cumulatively, does come over pretty much as "Zeiss is Always Best". No need to sigh . . . it's just the cross an apostle has to bear Wink (My altar was built in Wetzlar!)

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one example for the pixel peepers at 100% view:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
StillSanj wrote:

Thank you for the compliment.

BTW, I bought this lens quite regular on Ebay for a fixed price including (worldwide) free house delivery from a dealer in Russia. There is no need to go to Russia to get such a lens. In Austria there is neither duty nor tax applicable for such low value items. I don't know about the U.S. but I think it cannot be very expensive if import charges are due at all. However the shipping process until delivery took more than 2 weeks. But also tracking number was provided. Everything worked out perfectly as usual. I never had troubles with Russian dealers. More so from the U.S. when they shipped my goods to Australia instead of Austria. This happened already several times to me!
So just buy it and be happy! Wink

It's hard to shell out 80+ bucks for a good copy when you could have had one and inspect it in person for $30 :/ I'm pretty set on the fast 50mm lenses, and saving funds for a good wide angle lens. I can probably wait till I'm back in Europe, but for some reason I'd really like to have this lens. I just love that russian lens feel...will definitely have to get it, and thanks for the advice, if I end up having to buy it online, I will find a Russian seller. Enjoy the lens!