Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.7 front element/group fungus mark
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.7 front element/group fungus mark Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place. I got a Zeiss Planar T* 50mm 1.7 cheap due to fungus - I've cleaned almost all of it off but there's a tiny bit that appears to be inside the front element group, which I can't separate.

I'm surprised that these expensive lenses would have elements glued together, but I can't see any other way that this could be caused, unless it's been etched?

You can see the mark on the bottom edge of the element, where the lamp reflection appears purple.
http://imgur.com/sOj7Gwu

Any suggestions or tips would be really appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.7 front element/group fungus mark Reply with quote

Thomblrr wrote:
Hello, this is my first post so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place. I got a Zeiss Planar T* 50mm 1.7 cheap due to fungus - I've cleaned almost all of it off but there's a tiny bit that appears to be inside the front element group, which I can't separate.

I'm surprised that these expensive lenses would have elements glued together, but I can't see any other way that this could be caused, unless it's been etched?

You can see the mark on the bottom edge of the element, where the lamp reflection appears purple.
http://imgur.com/sOj7Gwu

Any suggestions or tips would be really appreciated.

There you go. Your link should work in this quote. It's a spam prevention thing.

Mmm.. on first glance it looks like coating damage, but I'm guessing, as it's not clear enough in the pic for my old eyes. I'd like to see some more pics if you can.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's most likely coating damage and, since this fungus is between glued elements, there's really nothing you're gonna be able to do about it. But take heart. You picked up an excellent, expensive lens for cheap -- and what tiny amount of fungus there is that remains will not affect your images at all.

If the fungus is still alive, you can kill it just by making sure your lens is exposed to sunlight. So, take it outdoors on a few bright, sunny days, and thoroughly use it. That should take care of the fungus for good. And, in the future, make sure that the lens is kept in a dry environment and that it sees sunlight from time to time.

Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure this spot does not contribute to the in-focus projection on the sensor.
You likely won't even see it in the bokeh-balls, where it's has the best chance of appearing.

There are lenses with more or less guaranteed peripheral coating damage of some degree from the retaining rings, but it does not manifest itself anywhere in the final image.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you for so many helpful replies so quickly.

http://imgur.com/ITNG1Oh
http://imgur.com/hD96OgJ

Here's a couple more photos courtesy of the backwards lens macro technique!

I'll make sure it sees some sunlight and just shoot with it anyway then - just need a nice contax now...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely threads of fungus. Right, there should be no effect on images; you might see it in wide open bokeh highlights; stop down to remove use of the outer portion of the front element when image-making.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pancolar 50 1.8 with a bit of fungus in the sides, in the middle of two glued-together glasses. Impossible to clean, but does not affect pictures at all, and I have used it under all possible circumstances.
Small advice: when exposing it to the sun to kill it, don’t bake it! If it gets too hot the oils inside it can become too fluid and move where they should not be. Just natural light is ok.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zamo wrote:
I have a Pancolar 50 1.8 with a bit of fungus in the sides, in the middle of two glued-together glasses. Impossible to clean, but does not affect pictures at all, and I have used it under all possible circumstances.
Small advice: when exposing it to the sun to kill it, don’t bake it! If it gets too hot the oils inside it can become too fluid and move where they should not be. Just natural light is ok.

I've noticed faster lenses to be more affected then slower ones.
F1.4 @ F1.4, yes, depending on how much contamination is there, you might be able to see (some/a lot of) difference.
F2 and slower can take a lot more.

I've had a fairly heavily contaminated (dust, debris, stains and coating damage) 100/2.8, before I've got a mint copy of the same lens.
Mint one was pretty much a waste of money.