Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

zeiss jena tevidon beyond repair?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: zeiss jena tevidon beyond repair? Reply with quote

check photos for better context. I apologize for the likely improper terminology

l went beyond my abilities and opened my (rare) carl zeiss jena vario-tevidon 15-150mm c mount to spray out dust in between two of the elements just below the aperture section. upon reinstallation, one of the stationary glass elements went into a tube sideways and got stuck. (there will be three times in this order of events which you may call me an idiot. this is the first.)
I got the glass out by bending the metal tube parts so I could relieve enough pressure to pop the glass out, but of course now the threads on the metal tube aqre damaged and I cannot hold the final elemnt in this selection in the tube.
I'm fucked, what next? ive been thinking about either shaving off the mangled parts so the cap which holds the final element in place can catch something. I loved this lens, but I guess not enough to pay someone professionally to clean it for me. ive got no choice now because its become a pretty serious job

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: zeiss jena tevidon beyond repair? Reply with quote

skyegreen42 wrote:
check photos for better context. I apologize for the likely improper terminology

l went beyond my abilities and opened my (rare) carl zeiss jena vario-tevidon 15-150mm c mount to spray out dust in between two of the elements just below the aperture section. upon reinstallation, one of the stationary glass elements went into a tube sideways and got stuck. (there will be three times in this order of events which you may call me an idiot. this is the first.)
I got the glass out by bending the metal tube parts so I could relieve enough pressure to pop the glass out, but of course now the threads on the metal tube aqre damaged and I cannot hold the final elemnt in this selection in the tube.
I'm fucked, what next? ive been thinking about either shaving off the mangled parts so the cap which holds the final element in place can catch something. I loved this lens, but I guess not enough to pay someone professionally to clean it for me. ive got no choice now because its become a pretty serious job

Just so we can see the pictures (not shown since it is your first message).

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome skyegreen42!

screwing into a 1" x32tpi thread-repair die might fix that. (I'm not certain that is correct thread size, but you get the idea, eh? Find the correct size die...)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the best thing it would be to machine a ring as the one damaged and try to insert it into it's place (by threads, so the actual one it would need to be cut and threaded of course it would be a very precise job and not cheap I guess)