Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Contarex question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Zeiss Contarex question Reply with quote

These things happen when people know you play around with old camera gear, lenses and so on. This is how i got a Zeiss set on my table, not just any camera, but a real Contarex with a Tessar and a Distagon lens!

The owner's question was quite simple: could i check for him if it all works and what is it worth?

All seems pretty okay, the body is used but not too bad, the lenses are fine. There is one big problem however: i cannot get the back off. It's one of those backs you can change with the film still inside. And this is exactly where i think the problem is: there is no dark-slide!

Does anybody here know how to get this back off without the use of the dark-slide? I know from my Koni Omegaflex that you cannot remove a film-back without that slide, so i guessed this would be the same.

I'd like to get it off to check the camera further and put it's normal back on, which i have available.

Thanks in advance!!

Here's the set:
Zeiss Ikon Contarex Super by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you should insert the steel slide, and have the shutter cocked. This should be the only way to take the interchangeable film-back off the Contarex.

It's interesting, that it comes with the less common, wonderful, Tessar 5/2,8 and the interesting Distagon 25mm.

It shouldn't impossible to find someone with a Contarex back and temporarily use its slide.

E.L.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmar Lang wrote:

It shouldn't impossible to find someone with a Contarex back and temporarily use its slide.

E.L.

Finding someone with a Contarex is quite hard..... The Contaflex however is more common. Do you know if the slides are the same?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

sorry to say, the interchangeable film backs of the Contarex and Contaflex cameras, although being identical in their function, loading etc., are of different size, thus the steel slide of the Contarex back is larger than the Contaflex's one.

E.L.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, just discovered that last week!