Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

You can use any IKEA LED for yellow glass treatment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: You can use any IKEA LED for yellow glass treatment Reply with quote

There is a technique, which you must already know, for curing the yellowed rare-earth glass with some particular IKEA LED lamp.

I went to IKEA and examined all lamps there. They all use the same LED, so you can buy just the bulb or other lamp, because the suggested one is rather expensive.

I bought one bulb with flat top and it is exactly the diameter of a Super Takumar 50/1.4 which I put face down on the bulb and secured with scotch tape. The yellow was almost gone within 24 hours. There is still some very light yellow tint, and maybe it cannot be removed as easily. But I decided to leave it as-is because actually I prefer this lens giving the warmer look.

It had no problems with color even when it was untreated, so there is absolutely no problem with the remaining tint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, that means the LED bulb is emitting some strong UV radiation.... Not nice to me. Sad
Could you please tell us which IKEA bulb was that?. They name their bulbs LEDARE generically.
So far I've been using UV fluo lamps for this (I got some from the use of EPROM erasers) and also some specific UV LEDs (single 1W LEDs). UV radiation is harmful to the eyes and the skin, so now I'm a bit concerned with the fact I've replaced all my bulbs at home by LED ones, most IKEA LEDARE ones.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Could you please tell us which IKEA bulb was that?. They name their bulbs LEDARE generically.

Yes it is a LEDARE bulb. I searched on IKEA's site but I cannot find one with a flat top. I can post the photo when I get home.

Quote:
UV radiation is harmful to the eyes and the skin, so now I'm a bit concerned with the fact I've replaced all my bulbs at home by LED ones, most IKEA LEDARE ones.

I don't think there is much of UV radiation in these bulbs. The effect must be because of the zero distance to the lens which adsorbs practically 100% of the light of which only 1% might be UV. Also, this UV radiation can be harmless for eyes and skin because of slightly different wavelength or energy or something like that. It's not the Sun, afterall.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, surprising, as I honestly doubt that UV is contained in that LED radiation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Hmm, surprising, as I honestly doubt that UV is contained in that LED radiation.

Yes it's surprising but it actually works. The original procedure and lamp are depicted here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CAaSgK6WsE

and also this topic:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-101883.html

I just wanted to note that you don't need that particular Jansjo lamp, all IKEA LEDs are the same.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently posted a thread on this topic:

http://forum.mflenses.com/fast-lens-de-yellowing-without-a-uv-lamp-t68896.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I recently posted a thread on this topic:

http://forum.mflenses.com/fast-lens-de-yellowing-without-a-uv-lamp-t68896.html

Yes and this Jansjo lamp everyone speaks of is not unique. It costs about $20, but a single bulb costs about $5, I don't remember the exact prices but they are something like that. So you can use just any LED bulb from IKEA and even if it does not work for your lens, you don't lose much money and you can still use it in any light furniture.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Maybe it worked a little, any objective measure of change? Reply with quote

"Irradiated" a Super Tak 1.4 with noticeable yellow cast for two days. Could discern perhaps some lesser tinting, but outdoors color balance still off, so did another day's worth of led treatment, without noticeable change. Would have been nice to have my chem lab spectrophotometer to actually measure the transmitted light. But, retired now, and anyway was spared further ado as last night put MC Rokkor 28 2.5 under the lamp, which promptly went poof as led bulb burned out. Approx four days use and I had tossed the Ikea receipt. Curious whether anyone has actually measured the transmitted spectrum before and after treatment. A detailed histogram from before and after of a shot of white background?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the yellowing does respond to wavelengths longer than UV. Wink Some of it, at least, given experiences here, and my own.

The question remains, will more treatment of led-treated lens using UV remove the remaining yellow cast?

I had 5 yellowed 50mm Takumars -- using sunlight, 2 cleared complete. The sunlight exposure helped the remaining 3, but they still had various degrees of yellow leftover. I tried to remove leftover yellows using several months of daily sunlight exposure -- nothing happened. I did notice the initial yellow easily cleared had more "haze" than the leftover yellow, which is very transparent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

I'm in the same boat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Tak back under the Light Reply with quote

False alarm on the demise of the LED...either the cat or evil spirits unplugged the lamp overnight. So, the Tak is getting more tanning booth treatments compliments of Ikea. Probably put it out in sunlight next. Most likely simply reserve it for monochrome use on the Sony or Olympus. If anything interesting happens, I will post. Ciao.