Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 50mm 1.9 - often overlooked
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Yashica ML 50mm 1.9 - often overlooked Reply with quote

HI all,

Hit the yardsales this morning. Picked up a Yashica ML 50mm f/1.9 along with the FR 2000 Super body and DSB 135 f/2.8 all for $25US. i've always heard good things about the f/1.7 and the f/1.4, so I thought this one might be worth a try - dented rim and all.

I slapped it on the 5D Mii this afternoon along with a small amount of extension tube to see how it rendered - I am quite pleased with the results. IMHO, it does a nice job with the out of focus highlights (bokeh) - swirly, but not what I would call nervous or disconcerting and it's no slouch in the sharpness area - at least where the very narrow results of my simple "garden" test are concerned. Some images definitely exhibits a glow which is some kind of aberration, but it is kind of plus for flower pics. I think it almost has a Helios kind of thing going, but not as extreme. The colors are also on the warm side.

I include a photo of the lens and a few sample photos - all made wide open and all on a #1 extension tube..

the lens:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful series!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila,

This is a great time of year in the North East US for flower images!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful light well visible, makes most lens to sought after Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely captured.
The bokeh is splendid and the lighting beautiful
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oldhand, it was one of great photography days, today - most cloudy with the sun peaking out every once in a while to light of the flora!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Yashica lenses. A few months ago, I bought a Yashica FX-103 just to get that lens. Mine is the DSB version and not the ML - but still a great lens (and I've no idea what the differenct is.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes older is better I prefer 135mm DSB instead of 135mm ML , I still have Yashica 21 and 24mm lenses ML , both great!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ML 50/1.9 does have some interesting bokeh. This image has been slightly processed to reveal the "character" of the bokeh more clearly (added slight sharpening and contrast):

Autumn silhouette by scepticswe, on Flickr