Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 2.8/35 - extra contrast
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML 2.8/35 - extra contrast Reply with quote

Yashica ML 2.8/35 is a very good lens, pretty well capable to deliver a wow-effect. It renders much of details and has good colours rendition. Still need to tweak colours if you use it under a strong sunlight, like in this shot where I only pushed saturation.

Although it looks more natural if you not only pump saturation but also negatively compensate exposure and then reduce contrast, which is a complete opposite of what you normally do with shots taken on other lenses.

This way you have a much more realistic, not washed-out picture which retains more details. Like in that 100%-crop.

But if you do not do that, this is how an original shot looks like with NEX-5N default settings. Not only overexposed but also too contrasty.

And here is a 100%-crop unprocessed.

No difference at which aperture you shoot. I wonder what is the origin of such lens behaviour, is it its special coating? And Zeiss lenses of the respective line, do they behave differently?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like normal over exposure. Check metering mode and exposure compensation.

By the way does anyone know if this lens is as good as a distagon 35?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of best 35mm i tried: http://forum.mflenses.com/yashica-ml-2-8-35mm-poor-mans-distagon-t48923.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blotafton, the camera had default settings, as I mentioned above. So, this is not about an occasionaly switched parameter. To say more, with many other MF lenses I normally compensate +0.3 EV in-camera. But here the value was at 0.0. And I needed not only to compensate the exposure but also to lower contrast to make shots look more natural.

Here is an illustration.

#1 An out-of-camera JPG with default settings, no processing

#2 The same shot with exposure compensed, I lowered alpha value at almost -.35

#3 Previous one with contrast lowered at -.35 and once more exposure reduced at -.1

For me, this is not exclusively exposure but also Yashica's "natural" contrast which is in play.

Pancolart, what is your experience with the lens' super-contrast?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens had above average contrast, but Pentax SMC's have it too for instance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Blotafton, the camera had default settings, as I mentioned above. So, this is not about an occasionaly switched parameter. To say more, with many other MF lenses I normally compensate +0.3 EV in-camera. But here the value was at 0.0. And I needed not only to compensate the exposure but also to lower contrast to make shots look more natural.

Here is an illustration.

#1 An out-of-camera JPG with default settings, no processing

#2 The same shot with exposure compensed, I lowered alpha value at almost -.35

#3 Previous one with contrast lowered at -.35 and once more exposure reduced at -.1

For me, this is not exclusively exposure but also Yashica's "natural" contrast which is in play.

Pancolart, what is your experience with the lens' super-contrast?

Alright, looks good with adjustments, contrasty lens!

Pancolart wrote:
One of best 35mm i tried: http://forum.mflenses.com/yashica-ml-2-8-35mm-poor-mans-distagon-t48923.html

Sweet!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Yashica ML 2.8/35 - extra contrast Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Yashica ML 2.8/35 is a very good lens, pretty well capable to deliver a wow-effect. It renders much of details and has good colours rendition. ... No difference at which aperture you shoot.

Yeah, that's true also for full frame cameras. The lens is excellent, and much better than the ML 2.8/28mm (7 lens version) or the ML 2.8/24mm.

alex ph wrote:

I wonder what is the origin of such lens behaviour, is it its special coating?

All "later" (about 1980) 2.8/35mm MF lenses i know are equally excellent: The Minolta MC-X, MD-I and MD-II 2.8/35mm [5/5], the Yashica ML 2.8/35mm, the Canon nFD 2.8/35mm ... and probably also the Nikkor AiS and the Zeiss C/Y (i don't know the latter two lenses). Obviously the limited angle of view combined with the limited speed gave birth to a series of excellent 2.8/35mm lenses from most major companies.

alex ph wrote:
And Zeiss lenses of the respective line, do they behave differently?
Probably not much. The Zeiss C/Y 2.8/35mm has clearly better MTFs than the C/Y 2.8/28mm or the C/Y 2.8/25mm.

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart, Steven, thanks for your contribution! I'll definitely try a Pentax to see the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have an occasion to compare Yashica with Pentax. Just walked around with Yashica 2.8/35 and made some more shots in different light conditions.

#1 Wide open, soft light

#2 At f4, soft light

#3 At f4, harsh sunlight

#4 At f5.6, against the sky

All shots are out-of-camera jpgs, unprocessed except resize. The camera is Sony Nex.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really loved it: http://forum.mflenses.com/yashica-ml-2-8-35mm-poor-mans-distagon-t48923.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to have some LoCA--check the color fringing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart, thanks for the reminder. Those your shots was one of the reasons I was interested in the lens.

Kymarto, there is certainly some fringing in difficult light situations, even if it is not as pronounced as in Yashica ML 1.4/50, which gives natural fireballs wide open.

The following two crops are from unprocessed jpgs, by Yashica ML 2.8/35 at f4.

In most cases it is barely visible, as the coating seems to manage this aberration quite well. What is more clear is a slight colour shift towards magenta. Sometimes the shots benefit from substracting some points in the scale of blue to look more natural.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. The ML 35/2.8 I owned was my worst Yashica ML by a distance to the extent I never used past some test shots. This thread has me thinking I should maybe try again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bp_reid, that sounds unconventional, as the ML 2.8/35 is commonly seen as a lens giving a very good IQ. But this may also be an effect of comparison, as you let understand. When I first got a couple of 28mm lenses, which were coming from a well regarded league, a Hexanon and a Rokkor, I was not at all impressed. At that moment I was using several 50mm lenses, and as compared to them, the 28mms rendered rather flatly and dully. At least that was my immediate perception. Further experiments gave me a better idea. Even though if you look at a shot taken with a 50mm of the same maker you may note a better visible 3D effect, microcontrast that shines, smoother bokeh, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bp_reid wrote:
Interesting. The ML 35/2.8 I owned was my worst Yashica ML by a distance to the extent I never used past some test shots. This thread has me thinking I should maybe try again.

Again, as with the ML 2.8/28mm, there are two different computations, a 7L and a 6L. I don't know whether their perfomance is comparable or different. In the Minolta lineup, the earlier 7L 2.8/35mm lens (a mid-1960s computation) clearly has more aberrations than the later (mid-1970s) 5L computation.

It might be, on the other hand, a bad copy. In my experience "bad copies" are much more rare than one woould expect from internet lore, but they do exist of course. My very first (pristine looking) MC-II 2.8/135mm was simply unacceptable, even at f11. I did have a Minolta MD 4.5/75-200mm that obvioulsy was "below average". But otherwise - with > 250 Minolta lenses tested - now major flaws were found.

As Alex has said previously: Sometimes one has to fiddle a bit with a new lens to get used to it. That's why I usually repeat my test twice or three times in different conditions before publisjing anything.

S