Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica 300mm f5.6 MLC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Yashica 300mm f5.6 MLC Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about this lens? Should I expect great things? As good as the Tamron?
It's ML so should be at least OK. I had a choice of a severel lenses yesterday but only had a few pounds in my pocket so had to choose just one - I'm hoping I made a good choice.
I can find very little reference to this lens apart this on cdegroot which makes me feel a lot better about it;

"A very fine and sharp telephoto lens, at all apertures. Quite rare, especially in mint condition, Yashica apparently didn't make too many of these. ....... Only a little longer than the Yashica 200mm/4.0 ML(c), the 300/5.6 is a nice length for surprise wildlife shots when rested on a car window or other support. When the 'C' version was introduced with its more compact sizing, Yashica dropped the tripod lens mount. This is o.k., except when using a teleconverter - quite a bit of metal is then hanging off that lens mount. I haven't any complaints over the optical quality of the lens, but f/5.6 is slow for a 300mm, and for wildlife, especially in shade, you'll want high-speed film. Landscape shots are fine of course at slow speeds when using a tripod."

"The ML 300/5.6 "C" version has an optical configuration of 6 elements in 3 groups, therefore has less glass/air surfaces, which leads to low transmission losses and hence, high contrast."

Time to try it out............ Anyone elso owned this?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know this lens, but generally all Yashica ML lens is fine, some of them superb. (24mm,28mm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (of course) own this one and I can recommend it - especially if you can get it at a decent price.
Only downside is that it's not really fast for a 300mm ... unfortunately Yashica did mostly stay in the 153/2.8 - 200/4 - 300/5.6 scheme, maybe not to be too big a contender with their T* relatives.
Only notable exception is the 400/5.6 which seems to EXTREMELY rare andthe 1000/11 reflex which is more frequent but expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you didn't mind me quoting you 'Cobalt60'.
It seems this lens is indeed quite rare judging from the lack of responses both here and on MFforum.
I've had a little play with it and it seems to me to be a very good 300mm. It's relatively light and small which makes up for the slow 5.6 - which isn't that bad. It is sharp even wide open and certainly is a contrasty lens - and it is easy to use on a crop digi reflex.
I'm pleased with it. My copy is in excellent if not quite mint condition and only cost ?9. Smile

Last edited by Xpres on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I itended to pay around 100 GBP for this lens Smile so you made deal of the Year! Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago I got a nice looking sample of the Yashica ML 5.6/300mm C, and yesterday the corresponding (older and larger) Yashica ML 5.6/300mm arrived. First preliminary test images both at infinity as well as near MFD (MFD is 4.5m) suggest a pretty even performance; the larger and older "non C" lens may have an edge when it comes to corner resolution and lateral CAs, but the differences aren't big for sure. I'll post a comparison of the two lenses as soon as conditions are more favourable; today there were lots of air turbulances and some rain - not very useful for testing 300mm lenses.

S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an image of the two lenses side-by-side:

The older "non-C" version of the ML 5.6/300mm is pretty large indeed - usually an indicator for a rather "relaxed" optical construcion and good performance. Preliminary tests are suggesting the ML 5.6/300mm "non-C" has not more CAs than the Nikkor AiS 4.5/300mm IF-ED. The smaller ML 5.6/300mm C seems to have a slightly decreased overall performance with slightly more lateral CAs and a slightly reduced corner resolution. Both lenses have a MFD of 4.5m which is pretty limiting, especially compared to the 300mm IF lenses from Canon, Minolta and Nikon.

S