Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

XR Rikenon 3.5/28mm = Pentax-M SMC 3.5/28mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: XR Rikenon 3.5/28mm = Pentax-M SMC 3.5/28mm Reply with quote

No doubt about it - optics is the same (i compared both) though lens body is different. So who produced glass: Ricoh for Pentax or the other way?

Obviously ex Ricoh takeover of Pentax was only formalization of cooperation long before.

Here my just received mint XR Rikenon 3.5/28mm:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the magazines of the day, as expressed in an official test of the Rikenons and from the pen of Keppler, Pentax produced the Rikenons. They were essentially K Pentaxes; Pentax was coming out with their SMC-M line at the same time. There was one, 200mm I believe, Rikenon that was in fact the M lens.

Congratulations on such a fine specimen, by the way. Really nice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jussi, good info. Would you happen to know who made that notorious Ricoh P 4/28-100mm zoom?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Ricoh also focuses to the "wrong" way like Nikon and Pentax?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
Does the Ricoh also focuses to the "wrong" way like Nikon and Pentax?

The same way as Pentax, yes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch. If anyone ever comes across a tiny Rikenon XR 28/3.5 Aspheric (60g) please contact me. I read that it's a Pentax design also. I want. I want.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: XR Rikenon 3.5/28mm = Pentax-M SMC 3.5/28mm Reply with quote

Well... hello! (This is my first post.) I'm a long time Pentax user (1982). Years ago I collaborated with Boz for his site, mainly clarifying data on K, M and A lenses (dates, hoods, prototypes, etc.) and I have been somewhat active on the PDML forum for some years in the past, where I mentionned this Pentax-Ricoh conection. It may be the occasion to gather more data about it as this forum is very popular.

As with the 200mm, Nesster, Rikenon XR 28mm f3.5 is the same optically as the M Pentax counterpart rather than K (maybe Pancolart could post a photo of the M lens, taken at the same angle). I wonder which other Ricoh XR lenses are based on either K or M lenses as I don't have other Pentax-Ricoh XR lenses than these two.

It looks like Ricoh quickly shifted to Sigma for their XR line (from Ricoh spec sheets). Also, at a certain point Ricoh offered a single round metal hood for the XR 28m & 35mm lenses while Pentax favoured rectangular plastic ones for their K and M primes.

As for the aspherical 28mm, RioRico, what is the source linking the lens to Pentax?

If we could get the whole picture, these Pentax-Ricoh lenses should be on Boz's site, like the Cosmicar and Phase 2 lenses, although they would go in the SMC Lenses section.

Pancolart, this 28-100mm is a mystery and probably an exclusive "sub-contract" as I don't think there is an equivalent lens anywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard takumat!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have XP and P versions of many Rikenon lenses, including 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/2 (P), 50/1.7 (XR), 50/1.4, 135/2.8 (XR), and 200/4 (XR). None of those seem to be based on Pentax designs except the 200/4, which is identical (optically; the barrel is different) to SMC Pentax-M 200/4. As far as I remember, Rikenon XR 50/1.4 was tested by Popular Photo; they found it to be sharper than the Pentax equivalent. Rikenon-P 50/1.4 is a different lens though (probably even sharper, but I didn't test them side by side). 28/2.8 and 35/2.8 are identical in P and XR versions, although the P variants have plastic aperture control rings and the infamous Ricoh pin. 50/2 supposedly has the same optics throughout the (many) versions, but different barrel designs in Rikenon, Rikenon XR, XR L, and P versions (and maybe others).

http://www.drricoh.de/Rikenon/index.html has more information about Rikenon lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe XR Rikenon 2.8/35mm is also optically identical to Pentax-M 2.8/35mm. Took it for a walk today. Some wide-open samples in Oversized Gallery:
http://forum.mflenses.com/xr-rikenon-2-8-35mm-on-nex-t54086.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first impressions of the Rikenon XR 28mm f2.8 on film are positive and am pleased with the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an XR Rikenon 2.2/55......has any one used one before?

Last edited by mo on Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont certain ( I dont know which series ) ricoh lenses get stuck if mounted on Pentax af bodies?
That would scare me from using ricoh lenses at all on my Pentax dslr.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: XR Rikenon 3.5/28mm = Pentax-M SMC 3.5/28mm Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
No doubt about it - optics is the same (i compared both) though lens body is different. So who produced glass: Ricoh for Pentax or the other way?

Obviously ex Ricoh takeover of Pentax was only formalization of cooperation long before.

Here my just received mint XR Rikenon 3.5/28mm:

fwiw, the Pentax-M 28/3.5 has a smaller 49mm filter thread, not 52mm as shown on the Rikenon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricoh made their own lens bodies. Metal XR series is of top quality.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I have an XR Rikenon 2.2/55......has any one used one before?

Hmm, the body of this lens looks very similar to a PB Pentacon, particularly the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between my Rikenon and pancolart's lens is huge....his looks a lot nicer Very Happy .I did not notice that it was all metal do you have a photo of it out of the case?
I think its the Ricoh lenses with the P on the beauty ring that have the extra pin that jams on Pentax Cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
The difference between my Rikenon and pancolart's lens is huge....his looks a lot nicer Very Happy .I did not notice that it was all metal do you have a photo of it out of the case?
I think its the Ricoh lenses with the P on the beauty ring that have the extra pin that jams on Pentax Cameras.

Yes, metal series is cool. No pins, full compatibility with Pentax. Some praise P series as optically the best but i'd never trade metal XR for that (hypothetical) edge.

Here 2.8/35mm Pentax in different clothes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I agree..metal for plastic it does not appeal to me either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I have an XR Rikenon 28/3.5 and SMC Pentax-M 35/2.8 and agree with the pics posted thus far. Gorgeous construction.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FotoPete wrote:
Yup I have an XR Rikenon 28/3.5 and SMC Pentax-M 35/2.8 and agree with the pics posted thus far. Gorgeous construction.

If you like the construction of the Pentax-M series lenses, you should try the K series. They are even nicer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Would you happen to know who made that notorious Ricoh P 4/28-100mm zoom?

Why notorious? Is it a good lens? (I for one never heard of this lens)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

Probably this one:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=26526

Haha
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
diddy wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

Probably this one:

Haha
OH

I used the expression notorious mistakenly (learning English day by day). It's well regarded zoom and i fully agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
diddy wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

Probably this one:

Haha
OH

I used the expression notorious mistakenly (learning English day by day). It's well regarded zoom and i fully agree.

+1