Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

XR Rikenon 28mm f3.5 Aspherical
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: XR Rikenon 28mm f3.5 Aspherical Reply with quote

XR Rikenon 28mm f3.5 Aspherical.

Tiny pancake lens, only weighs 60g.

Apparently only made for one year, 1996-7.

#3 with XR Rikenon 2/50 for comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, curious how it performs!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice looking super-compact lens!

What mount is it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is smaller, adapter + lens, OM 28/3.8 or this Ricoh?
I'm looking forward to see some samples.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a handsome lens, but does it perform as good as it looks?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Nice, curious how it performs!

Me too, never seen one, nice find!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We demand photographs!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the lens on ebay too, but it seems to me a bit expensive for 28 / 3.5.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't expensive, it cost about the same as any other 3.5/28 from a major maker, hence I snapped it up.

Sample photos to come, just waiting for a PK adapter to arrive from China as I can't find the one I already have.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones currently listed on ebay start at $300 or so. It is a really nice looking lens though.

I just got a SMC Pentax 28 2.8 last weekend for 50 euro, so my greed for another SLR-28mm is currently at a low level... otherwise this thread could be expensive for me Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only paid 50ukp for this lens with an XR Rikenon 2/50 included, hence I grabbed it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a sweet deal indeed Like 1 small

Ebay buy-it-now prices are not always reflecting the actual value of a lens anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the BIN prices generally go from pretty expensive to "You have got to be kidding me!" I typically watch for auctions and do some research as to what the range is for auction prices. Then try to snipe. With some diligence you can get things like a good example of a Icarex BM Ultron 50mm f2 for 160 USD or a Voigtlander Septon for 175 dollars. I do take chances now and again on "as-is" if the lens is likely to be good. For example a Pentax super multi coated takumar 50mm 1.4 is likely to be just fine while the Septon mentioned above is likely to have separation. I scan a lot of listings though and watch what prices seem to be doing before I bid. That part of it takes some experience though, as things like Minolta 58 1.4 are prone to oily blades, Topcon are prone to mechanical woes CZJ lenses are very likely to have a stiff focus ring, etc Sometimes I see a BIN that is a bargain and I snap them right up. Far too many times I have been scanning and saw a listing that seemed pretty good but I wasn't familiar enough with that particular lens to jump in, go do some quick research and find out its an incredible deal. Then go back to the listing and find it is GONE. Just like that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this lens for about 2.5 years. It is quite good on APS-C but had not used it yet on FF. Here is a link of photos I took on pentax forums site.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/304908-xr-rikenon-28mm-f3-5-aspherical-pancake.html

Can't directly post photos here yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Manny. I'd already seen your images, they persuaded me to buy the lens. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mannyquinto wrote:
Had this lens for about 2.5 years. It is quite good on APS-C but had not used it yet on FF. Here is a link of photos I took on pentax forums site.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/304908-xr-rikenon-28mm-f3-5-aspherical-pancake.html
Nice! This also goes on my search list now, since I'm still looking for a 28 mainly for my GXR, and having an actual Ricoh-lens would be fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
Mannyquinto wrote:

Nice! This also goes on my search list now, since I'm still looking for a 28 mainly for my GXR, and having an actual Ricoh-lens would be fun.

In this case you should rather look for the Ricoh GR 28mm/F2.8 LTM lens. Unfortunately it's awful expensive. Wink
However, example pictures from this lens can be seen here:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1261410@N22/pool/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

In this case you should rather look for the Ricoh GR 28mm/F2.8 LTM lens. Unfortunately it's awful expensive. Wink
yep, that's a gorgeous lens... but the PK 3.5/28 seems a good compromise... a bit more searching delivered some prices significantly lower than my initial quick search. We'll see what crosses my path eventually. It's not like I have a shortage of lenses (although I'm selling a few currently) Mr. Green It's just that a wide&compact would be really sweet on my GXR.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed long ago that the price on even non-working Ricoh GRs is very high, maybe people are removing the lenses to have them remounted for use on LTM cameras? MS-Optical in Japan have remounted a few, they also remount other famous first rate fixed lenses like the Nikon 2.8/35 from the L35AF.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather here has not been conducive to lens testing, just gray, dull, awful light. I have tried the little Ricoh on my NEX-3 and my OM-D E-M5 and I'm a bit confused. On the NEX it impressed me, sharp, very high contrast, looked great. However, on the E-M5 it's much less good, soft at full aperture making it hard to focus, seems noticeably softer stopped down than most lenses, most confusing.

The NEX-3 has a pixel pitch of 5.16 microns (14mp, APS-C), the E-M5 has a pixel pitch of 4.28 microns (16mp, M4/3) so the E-M5 is 17% more demanding in pure resolution terms, could this account for the difference I'm seeing?

I'll make more test shots as soon as we have some sunlight and figure this out.

In the meantime, one with the NEX-3:

100% crop:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is with the E-M5 and it's just not very sharp, which mystifies me as it's a fair bit sharper on the NEX. Can this be the result of 17% smaller pixels on the E-M5?