Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

X-Fujinon 19/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: X-Fujinon 19/3.5 Reply with quote

Does anyone have an X-Fujinon 19/3.5?
I know there is an M42 version, but I would prefer feedback from someone with the X-Fujica mount version.

I just received a like new X-Fujinon 19/3.5, I was expecting a sharp image with little CA, the pictures are just plain ugly.
De-centered element?

Full size
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8737/16958266992_f2928f6e8d_o.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Not a user)

This lens is known with the flare effect and you need to stop down to at least F5.6 to get good sharpness like the Tokina 17/3.5. Don't

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this was f8, the flare at bottom left would be gone with the hood, it's the sharpness in the trees I'm concerned about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a brand new X-fujinon 19/3.5 and I didn't like it at all. It flared badly and I didn't find it very sharp either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to see your link to the full size image, but am told it's a 'private page'. Looking at the image here in the thread, though, I just can't see anything that's 'plain ugly'. Rather, it looks like a decent against-the-light shot taken with a low winter sun just out of shot - a subject that strains pretty much all lenses of such short focal length.

Maybe you could show a section of the image to show more clearly what the problem is?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the bottom of the OP, there is a link to full size image. Trees don't look too good there, I agree. In fact nothing looks properly sharp in that image.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot confirm the opinions from "non-users" that the EBC Fujinon 3.5 / 19mm allegedly is "known for flares". Look at the picture that you have posted -- no ghosting. But of course the quality of a photographic image also depends on the person behind the camera. Attach a filter to your lens and then remove the lens hood, point your camera straight towards the sun, shoot hand-held, perhaps with a crop camera that computates an image from a light contrast of 1:10.000 and more -- can you imagine what opinion I have of such a "lens tester"?

I own the M42 version of this lens. As far as I know the design of the FX version is the same, although plastics was used for the barrel to reduce weight and lower the retail price. Not all FX lenses share the design of the M42 versions. The 3.5 / 28mm is different, as far as I know, and there is no FX 1.8 / 55mm.

If you put to use the 3.5 / 19mm properly, you will recognize that it assembles lots of details within the image plain, nicely differentiating them with a shallow gradation, not dumping them. Contrary to cheap lenses, the general impression is a certain lightness and vibrance, instead of dullness.

But of course you will have to take more than one picture and of course you will need to know what you must look for and better not do with a lens.

Stick to this lens and dump the man behind the camera.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is long gone, it has been replaced with a CV 15III, first shots with it are very promising.

I spent the day shooting the X-Fujinon, and didn't get a good result from it, so I very much doubt it was me to blame.
Anyways, I still have the 28/1.9 which is superb, I will be using it regularly for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, I wish sincerely to apologize for my rude words. I have seen a selection of your photographs at Flickr and you are very certainly a gifted photographer. I can confirm that some weak Fujinon copies are around. I used to work with one or two copies of the 3.5 / 28mm and felt them to be rather dull, until I got some really sharp copies. By the way, we share an interest in macro photography. Enjoy taking photographs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and accepted, it very well could have been a bad copy, it was in like new shape, the seller has a number of them, all NOS.