Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Would a deep Hood do the trick?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Would a deep Hood do the trick? Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

I shot some birds with my Soligor 200mm f2.8 and I'm quiet satisfied with the sharpness of the images but they are overly dull. Is a deep lenshood going to change this or do you think that it is an internal reflection in the lens?

I'm not sure?!?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if a hood would help, but looks to me like PP would fix the contrast and saturation. Seems like a good lens to me, better than most third party long lenses I've tried.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might. It can't hurt.
If this is the 1970's lens I have seen some decent results from it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP also not hurt usually contrast can fix pretty well

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 auto contras+color+sharpen more 30%
#2 auto contrast in acdsee

It has batch processing you can do with a few click on all images.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing wrong with those just a bit of PP required as we saw from the example.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done some PP! I originally posted without pp, to show you all what I mean.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
#1 auto contras+color+sharpen more 30%

Nice result! Maybe I will try this formula. Thanks for sharing.

Decent lens it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the cause of it may be a little flare as you are shooting into a bright white sky. Yes bang up the contrast a little in PP or perhaps underexpose about -0.3 a stop.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I think the cause of it may be a little flare as you are shooting into a bright white sky. Yes bang up the contrast a little in PP or perhaps underexpose about -0.3 a stop.

Underexpose one of the trick what I use in similar shooting env, or even better set light meter to center mode.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is in focus so looks like camera shake and pp won't help. What were your camera settings? Hand-held?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improvise a hood with some black cardboard, tape it on, and try some shots with and without.

I did a similar test with a long cardboard hood for my 500mm mirror lens and saw a noticeable improvement, so I built myself a more permanent hood.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my version, processed in light room, increased contrast, removed noise, sharpened, all that good stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Improvise a hood with some black cardboard, tape it on, and try some shots with and without.

I did a similar test with a long cardboard hood for my 500mm mirror lens and saw a noticeable improvement, so I built myself a more permanent hood.

+1 good hint before you spend any money on hood.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason why hood is produced. to eliminate such situation Smile
We know some lenses are sold included it's original hood.
I'm pretty sure the lens needs hood.
If we are talking about zeiss T*, maybe hood is not needed. IMHO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips!

I did overexpose a little to get the bird exposed and not the sky.

I shoot manually and this was without a tripod. Both shot at 1/320 sec, ISO 320 and I think f4.

The focus seems nearly Spoton for me, maybe slightly off in the first picture. Focusing with the NX11 and manual glas is not the easiest trick... Embarassed

I think, I will try the tip with the cardboard. The "supplied" Hood is a build in one, so it is relatively short compared to most external ones!

Cheers,

Karhallarn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also try the deep hood at all aperture settings. I had a Jupiter-21M where the flare became worse as the aperture became smaller. The general view was that was due to internal reflections.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karhallarn wrote:

I shoot manually and this was without a tripod. Both shot at 1/320 sec, ISO 320 and I think f4.

In these particular shots there is obvious camera shake affecting focus and too much backlighting robbing detail so a lens hood will not help. You should increase your ISO considerably and stop down to at least f8. Adjust shutter speed as needed but not below 1/320 when handheld with a 200mm on a crop body.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@frenched: I can't really make out any sign of camera shake in my shots! Even when viewing them in Aperture at 100%. I'm shooting long enough, to know which settings I can handhold. The situation with the "haze" doesn't change with smaller apertures. I tried!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I looked at the shots on multiple monitors and they all appear OOF. Are you shooting Raw or JPEG? Manual or something else?