Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wilon 4,5/75 - Steinheil Culminar 4,5/105
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Wilon 4,5/75 - Steinheil Culminar 4,5/105 Reply with quote

Hello to all,

I am a new member to this forum.
Thanks for your comment Atila.
Now I have found my therapy group Embarassed

I just aquired the two following lenses in M39 mount sold as enlarger lens.
Does anybody know these lenses:

Will Wilon Wetzlar 4,5/75 M39
Steinheil Culminar 4,5/105 M39

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Steinheil Culminar 135/3.5 in an M39 mount and I love it. I am also expecting a version attached to a novoflex bellows with the 4.5 aperture. Steinheils are generally admired for their quality and sharpness.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steinheil is a simple triplet lens design, the Wilon may be too, but could also be a Tessar type. Steinheils are astonishingly sharp lenses (since Steiheil perfected that type of lens design), but the Wilons were considered low price enlarger lenses, sometimes even with plastic barrels (I have a few of that).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lenses arrived Very Happy
Here are some pictures to share.
The two of them are enlarger lenses.

The Steinheil has 14 blades and rusty blades (I have to look for maintaining in the forum - if anybody has a quick link, I will be very lucky)

The Wil Wilon has a square blade with 4 blades. It is all plastic and has the feeling of a plastic screw-cap from a bottle.

I will do some test shots in the near future to keep you informed.
Thanks for the advice and comments from the posts before.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF-addicted wrote:

The Steinheil has 14 blades and rusty blades (I have to look for maintaining in the forum - if anybody has a quick link, I will be very lucky)

Equipment Care and Repairs

Welcome to mflenses forum!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other threads I found the Culminar described as a reversed tessar-type, with the cemented lenses on the frontside. That is why a 80mm/2.8 is called to deliver very good results, I think.
The triplets of Steinheil are called Cassar(it) AFAIK. Lots on old folding camera's.
I have recently received a M42 50mm/2.8 Culminar. I cannot see for sure if it is made in 3 or 4 elements.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I'm late!

Welcome to this forum.

Will Wetzlar produced enlarger lenses. I have got a 4.5/105 and it's really nice on bellows.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum.

That Steinheil looks very similar to my Industar 50/3.5
which was very easy to disassemble and reassemble.
You should be able to reach the blades in a few minutes,
if you begin with unscrewing the back element first.

For better remember, just take photos of every single action you make.
This will help to reassemble in correct order.

Regards
Hasan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words and help.

I looked for any hints on removing rust on the blades. I think it is not too much. Is phosphoric acid good or will I get problems with relubbing afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Steinheil mounted on a novoflex bellows with special adapter by novoflex - I am really enjoying this combo:

Poppy flower-to-be:

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During its latter years, Gnome, the Welsh manufacturer of enlargers and projectors, used Will lenses quite extensively, so in theory they should be quite common in the UK on the used market. Just FYI.