Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wide angle converter experiment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Wide angle converter experiment Reply with quote

Inspired by member Antoine I've tried this rather strange combination which results in apprx. 14mm focal length.

Zhongy lens turbo + Minolta MD 24mm/F2.8 + Olympus A28 H.Q. Converter 0.8X mounted on my NEX-C3:

For comparison the same scenery shot with the CV 15mm/F4.5 which results in nearly the same angle of view:

Well, if somebody don't cares about the edges, the converter picture is at least better than no picture. Wink
Seriously, the center isn't bad at all. I am quite surprised.

BTW, if used with focal lengths of 28mm and longer the smeared edges will nearly disappear completely. Obviously the Olympus converter which was originally developed for 28mm is in that respect the limiting factor. Unfortunately I don't have any 28mm lens which would fit into that arrangement, but I've tested it with 35mm and 50mm lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thomas! Also nice for very short distance pictures where it creates nice perspectives with great DOFs as these do. Of course, does not mean to compete with Voigtlander but the converter was a left over I was not using it, hence free. I can pretty much cover most situations with this (or the 24 mm), a normal lens and a short tele plus a mirror lens when travelling.
Not absolutly sure it is the same converter though. I bought it to fit the Olympus C-5050 Zoom issued in 2003 which had a 3 * zoom (7-21mm zoom, 1/8 inch captor) and had 2 addiitons: one tele (useless) and this 55 mm screwing converter.

Last edited by Antoine on Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Thanks Thomas! Also nice for very short distance pictures where it creates nice perspectives with great DOFs as these do. Of course, does not mean to compete with Voigtlander but the converter was a left over I was not using it, hence free. I can pretty much cover most situations with this (or the 24 mm), a normal lens and a short tele plus a mirror lens when travelling.

Unfortunately I can't test it on 28mm. It should work best in this combination and is resulting in 16mm focal length. For wider lenses you have obviously to live with the bad corners by design.

I still have the Olympus converter from my first serious digital camera, the Minolta D7i (28-200mm). For this camera it was a great option to increase the FOV and it did a fantastic job.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I use the Zhongi LT2 with my Rokkor 24mm f2.8 as well. No wide angle converter tho. Here's some pics with it:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I realise I can now also use this Zhongi LT2 with a MD 28-85 zoom or any higher fixed focal length giving quite a range when I want only one lens.
I wish techart would also launch an AF MD converter for "snapshots". One has to avid too many adapters in series.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to proof my above statement about the Olympus A-28 0.8X wide converter about it's performance.
This is a test picture from a SMC Pentax-A 28mm/F2.8 lens with the Oly converter alone, resulting in 22,4mm focal length: