Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wide advice please
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Wide advice please Reply with quote

I'm looking for something quite wide, 24mm and under in M42, not looking to spend over £200.
Can anyone recommend a lens which would worth looking out for.
Thanks
John

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a tammy 17/3.5 SP ? You might just make your budget Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your options in M42 mount are rather limited I'm afraid. For that money you could probably find:

Super Takumar 24/3.5
Ensinor 24/2.8 / Carl Zeiss Jena 24/2.8 (Made in Japan lens, not real CZJ)
Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 25/2.8
Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20/4
Tamron SP 17/3.5
Tokina RMC 17/3.5

However, you may find that old super wide lenses in M42 mount are not the best performers on digitial, and if you're on crop a modern zoom lens may make more sense.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

Thanks Martyn
It will be for use on Sony Alpha, will have a look to see if there's any around.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is beautiful Kiron 3.8/20mm and capable Soligor 3.8/21mm.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham, it's a full frame (A900) I've got a 20/2.8 flektagon in my ebay list but it's £309 and having a hard time convincing the wife lol. I actually have the CZ16-35 but it's soooo heavy.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
There is beautiful Kiron 3.8/20mm and capable Soligor 3.8/21mm.

Thanks, none on ebay atm but will keep an eye out for them.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on full frame then it makes a lot more sense Smile Tamron SP 17/3.5 has some bad distortion on FF unfortunately (I should check my shots when I get home). Found the same of the Soligor 17/3.5 (Tokina RMC copy). This creates a nice effect (e.g. shooting a cow face on :lol) but is not good for landscapes.

A *good* Flek 20/4 would be a decent option I reckon. I had a 20/2.8, but like so many Fleks I've seen, it appear de-centered or just poor at the sides until stopped right down.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi john

not sure why no one mentioned the mir 20mm in m42, especially as there are two different versions! many like these lenses and they are more reasonably priced, at least close to your budget.

not to appear crass, but i have a mir 20/3.5 in excellent shape, leather case, caps for sale. if you like, feel free to pm me.

tony

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony, I notice you're in New York so would involve customs duty etc on your Mir, I will have a google and see what I can find.

Found this on Ebay, any good, over priced ? looks to be in good condition
item no 380340540477
M42 ENNA lens MC MACRO REVUENON 4/24

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the lower end price wise there is also the Sigma Suoer Wide 24 2.8.
You should be able to find samples from that lens on this forum.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely do some research, but generally enna's thought to be very middling lenses from wht ive read

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your input, I eventually bought the MC MACRO REVUENON 4/24, I got it for very nearly 100USD less than his buy it now price, just got to wait for delivery mow Sad
I'll post my thoughts on it when i've had a play, hopefully I won't be selling it on Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

+1 for Tamron SP17 with inexpensive Chinese M42 mount a real deal and works well if you have good camera with good sensor.
I mean same lens performed crappy on Olympus E-1 and perform very well on Sony Nex-3

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:

+1 for Tamron SP17 with inexpensive Chinese M42 mount a real deal and works well if you have good camera with good sensor.
I mean same lens performed crappy on Olympus E-1 and perform very well on Sony Nex-3

Thanks
I have looked for one with no luck, but will keep trying, in the meantime I have the lens above to play with.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember well that is a good lens ask Orio in pm I guess he had it and he was satisified with that. In general all 24mm lenses are pretty good one.