Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why is the Nex good for manual focus lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Why is the Nex good for manual focus lenses? Reply with quote

I am thinking about buying a Nex, because I my present Canon T3 DSLR camera is not
so satisfactory for me due to the small viewfinder.
I have read comments that users like it better than their DSLRs and I wonder
what is the improvement? Comments or links would be appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm..can it be that someone doesn't know yet? Wink

my short summary:
live view on LCD / EVF shows what sensor will record, enlargement of view is VERY helpful for focusing ( magnification factor is not constant with all NEX models, for my NEX5N it is x4.8 and x9.5 )
Focus peaking is another great help for focusing, the edges of what's in focus will change colors to show that it is in focus, focus peaking also works when enlargement is activated.
NEX will expose adapted lenses automatically correct by measuring the light hitting the sensor, that is without knowing the aperture chosen on the lens, e.g. A mode works
short register distance means pretty much any lens can be adapted, most adapters are very cheap, abt. 10 usd
NEX cameras are small and light, well, not everybody likes that, I do Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the minimal register distance (18mm) in front of the Canon (44mm) that allows for much more lenses to be easyly adapted to the NEX line.
(i.e., if you want to use a Canon FD lens on a Canon DSLR, there are only two options: mechanize the lens and replace the mount or use an special adapter that has a lens inside that lowers the resulting image quality. On a NEx, a simple and cheap adapter with no lens inside will do the trick).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I got my NEX the Pentax K10 pretty much gathers dust, it's just so versatile with old lenses. I love the live view, the magnification and focus peaking, the tilting screen, it works and exposes in a few different modes - I generally use Shutter Priority and watch the histogram and live view to gauge exposure with the lens set for the DoF I want. Adapters are cheap and so are lenses, I don't mind spending the price of a couple of beers just to see how a lens performs, sometimes I get lucky and actually buy a good lens. Laughing
What's not to like about the NEX ? Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.
Is the Nex 3 missing any important feature, if try to go for a bargain, is it better
to save up for a different model?

Also, I am playing around with Magic Lantern on my camera how does it compare (magnified focus and focus peaking)
with the Nex?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't say how magic lantern compares
the original NEX3 and NEX5, like the new NEX3N ( which has an integrated flash the NEX3/5 don't have ) do not accept the optional EVF
NEX5N/R/T and F3 take optional EVF, NEX6 and 7 have an integrated EVF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
can't say how magic lantern compares
the original NEX3 and NEX5, like the new NEX3N ( which has an integrated flash the NEX3/5 don't have ) do not accept the optional EVF
NEX5N/R/T and F3 take optional EVF, NEX6 and 7 have an integrated EVF

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the NEX difficult for sports photography and where the subject is moving quickly i.e motor racing or air shows, the eye level viewfinder of my Nikon is best for that. I keep both eyes open so its easier to find the fst moving subject.

But apart from that, Like Dave (Lloydy) its my normal camera now, the Nikons hardly get used at all for amateur stuff now. In fact my old film cameras get used more then the DSLR's

Mine is a NEX-5K. It appears to be same as the 5N

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two NEX-3 both have 15 USD cost LCD viewfinder, I like better than NEX-7 EVF, adapters usually nice even cheapest ones.
No remote control to nex-3 I did miss that only really, but with timer function you can replace it. I have oldest NEX-3 cameras.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the NEX5 has a alloy chassis rather than polycarbonate. I've had big heavy lenses on my NEX5 and mounted it on a tripod using the NEX mount and it's very solid.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
hm..can it be that someone doesn't know yet? Wink
...,focus peaking also works when enlargement is activated....

Is this for all models?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I have two NEX-3 both have 15 USD cost LCD viewfinder, I like better than NEX-7 EVF, adapters usually nice even cheapest ones.
No remote control to nex-3 I did miss that only really, but with timer function you can replace it. I have oldest NEX-3 cameras.

Hi Attila, are the LCD viewfinders you bought the magnetic types or the ones that attach to the tripod screw hole?
Would they work for someone that uses reading glasses? And finally, do you have a link to purchase the viewfinder?
Well i don't really have the camera yet. Embarassed

Thanks.
Thanks to everyone for the information.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnetic is crappy have to ruin camera with glued frame, I use tripod screw mount one. You can use normal reading glass, diopter is not adjustable. I have adjustable one too, but not works no diopter correction. Focus peak , magnify works with all model even oldest one up-gradable to use it.

incompatible with NEX-7

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Magnetic is crappy have to ruin camera with glued frame, I use tripod screw mount one. You can use normal reading glass, diopter is not adjustable. I have adjustable one too, but not works no diopter correction. Focus peak , magnify works with all model even oldest one up-gradable to use it.

incompatible with NEX-7

Click here to see on Ebay

Okay, thanks a lot!
Nice weather for this time of the year! Maybe snow on Wednesday though. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a Nex 3 and a Canon 60D with Magic Lantern, but both Nex and ML since too few time to have a full understanding of them.
However, I like slightly more ML implementation of focus peaking: while on the Nex you see mostly contrasted edges, ML gives a view on areas too, in form of sparse points as you already know.
The magnification on 60D with ML is just a small piece around the focus point picture-in-picture style: I like it (you can focus and frame) and I'm not sure whether the Nex could too.

Regarding the Nex, which I like and I'm glad to have bought it anyway because I spent just few money, it seems there is some color shift issue with wide-angle lenses, and actually I found my Industar 28/2.8 indeed shows some of it. However, it seems also that 3N is better from this point of view.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Thanks for the information.
Is the Nex 3 missing any important feature, if try to go for a bargain, is it better
to save up for a different model?

Also, I am playing around with Magic Lantern on my camera how does it compare (magnified focus and focus peaking)
with the Nex?

Important:

-Younger NEX models than first NEX-3 and NEX-5 and NEX-7 have about one stop better high ISO.
(ISO 3200 of NEX-5N/C3 looks about as good as ISO1600 from NEX-3/5)

-6+7 series have an build-in electronic viewfinder (EVF)

-All recent NEX bodies (NEX 6, NEX 5R, NEX 5T, ILCE 5000...) have Wifi abbility (so can export pictures to a mobile phone or tablet for example) and you can install a few apps apps for extra features like Timelapse, Multi-Exposure, and some more or less "toy-tools"...
https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/

-NEX-3 has no IR reciever for an IR-remote (I don't know if younger from NEX-3 series have that)

NEX-7 (and maybe NEX-6) have much more buttons etc., you can do much more without going into the menue

Imho less important:

-NEX-3 has no Full-HD Video (only 720p), while all other have that as far as I know

5, 6 and 7 Series have better build quality than 3 series (magnesium alloy instead of plastic)

NEX-6 (and maybe other recent ones) have an normal classic flash shoe instead of tiny crappy flash shoe from NEX-3/5/5N etc., though there are cheap manual adapters (no TTL) for NEX-3/5/5N,...

NEX-7 has an old Minolta flash shoe (I know it's quite confusing - Sony has/had three flash shoes!)

Some recent bodies incl. 6+7 have an build in pop-up flash instead of a tiny external flash.

PS: Original NEX firmware is a bit better than magic lantern imho. It's depending on the bodies though,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

-NEX-3 has no IR reciever for an IR-remote (I don't know if younger from NEX-3 series have that)

nope.. still no IR receiver on any NEX-3 body

in addition to your list:

the optional EVF (FDA-EV1S) can be used on NEX-5N, 5R, 5T and NEX-F3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick entry, sorry I haven't read the thread so maybe this has been said:

the main difference for me would be the register distance. With a mirrorless camera the sensor is shallow enough in the body for you to be able to use almost any lens that ever existed with the right adapter. With a DSLR you are somewhat limited in your choice due to the mirror chamber, even though the choice of lenses available to you is still plenty.

However, there is one more thing to keep in mind: the lack of an optical viewfinder in daylight in mirrorless cameras can be quite annoying.

I like the idea of NEX's focus peaking which they say works with manual focus lenses, but if you cannot see the LCD screen that can become quite an issue.

All the rest is personal preferences (for example, I hate touchscreens and prefer buttons and dials, someone else might not).

Hope my two cents could help a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingRoach wrote:
However, there is one more thing to keep in mind: the lack of an optical viewfinder in daylight in mirrorless cameras can be quite annoying.

like said before.. for NEX5N/R/T and F3 exists a optional EVF, NEX6 and 7 have an integrated EVF. This can help a lot..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just saw the NeX 7 with its EVF. The optional viewfinder can be an expensive accessory for some.

It's all personal preferences in the end really. All about knowing your options, your preferences, and your money.

If I'm buying a camera with a whole lot of intention to adapt old glass, I'd go mirrorless simply due to the register distance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: can't agree more Reply with quote

I recently switched from Canon 6D to NEX6 then, and now a7. I still have my 6D, but it has been on the shelve for some time.

I felt bad every now and then about neglecting the 6D. But it is so much more fun to shot with the manual lenses. I know I can use Canon for vintage lenses, but NEX makes it so much easier to shot manual than canon "live view"

Hope I am not the only one feeling bad about the DSRL system.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is perfect. Nex would be all most perfect as a camera to fit manual lenses if it had in body image stabilisation .
Anyway , great camera for MFL .The basic Nex 3 has great value .