Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Who made these 28/2.8 ? Sun or Tokina ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Who made these 28/2.8 ? Sun or Tokina ? Reply with quote

I picked up this curious Sun 28/2.8, it looks like its from the early-mid-1970's -

L- Sears 28/2.8 R - Sun 28/2.8

L- Sears 28/2.8 R - Sun 28/2.8

The odd thing is that it is the same lens as my Sears 28/2.8, other than in cosmetic details, I was certain that this Sears was a Tokina, because the series of lenses it is part of are also Tokinas and vecause it so resembles the T4 28/2.8 lens -

L-R - Sun, Sears, Soligor T4

The definitely Tokina-made Soligor T4 (because only Tokina made T4's) has the same details of lens diameter, optical element length (front objective-rear objective center-to-center), details of name-ring, filter diameter, minimum focus, engraving of focus scale, etc. It seems like the same lens in a different barrel, which is understandable as it is a T4. The Sears version is the same as that sold under dozens of brand names, which is also usual for Tokina. Sun did sell lenses to merchants also, but never so much.

So, did Tokina make this lens for Sun ? Or did Sun make this lens for Sears, Tokina, etc. ?

Is it possible that Sun was buying these from Tokina in the 1970's in order to fill out its product line while it concentrated on zooms ? Or did Tokina buy this design from Sun ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

It's very difficult to know. I don't think that sun did the 28 mm for tokina, who did lot of 24, 28, 35, etc. If it's certain that one did a 28 lens for the other, it seems tha tokina did them for sun, who did a zooms lenses and perhaps not primes ones.

Sun (with his champagne color) was able to make his own 28 mm, a simple lens with knowed and tried schame .

May be each one did your own lens.

Mistery to reveal. Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Who made these 28/2.8 ? Sun or Tokina ? Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Is it possible that Sun was buying these from Tokina in the 1970's in order to fill out its product line while it concentrated on zooms ? Or did Tokina buy this design from Sun ?

I agree with your first conclusion, Luis. Your 28 bears all of the Tokina styling cues and variations we've seen on Soligor, Sears, Focal, Lentar, etc. Perhaps some cooperation on design between the two as the 90-230/4.5 Tokina has a physical resemblance to the Sun 80-200/4.5 that was most commonly seen as a pre-set.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!

This questions of brands, subcontracts, etc are magic for me.

I love read your posts Luis, Cassualcollector, Attila, Orio and all the guys.

Thanks for share your knowing and learn me a lot.

RINO.