Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Who made Auto Chinon 2.8/28mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Who made Auto Chinon 2.8/28mm? Reply with quote

Hi folks!

I got an Auto Chinon 2.8/28mm for K-mount recently, and it would be fun to know who made it. The build quality is very good and I quite like the images it gives.

Here's some pics of the lens:

Heres a similar lens with the name Toyo Optics (also name Tou/Five Star on the name ring). Note the same silver ring with a red dot under the aperture ring.

Heres a Osawa branded lens which looks a lot like my lens, except the aperture goes only to 16 on Chinon and it focus distance markings are a bit different. Here also the silver ring with the red? dot.

I've googled it but I just found out that apparently Komine made Chinon lenses but did they do them all?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't answer your question but here was another thread concerning the Chinon 2.8/28mm: http://forum.mflenses.com/chinon-2-8-28mm-t3442,highlight,chinon+28mm,start,15.html

There are quite a few 2.8/28mm lenses that bore the chinon name. In the ladder half of the thread I discuss mine. I think you're probably spot on with the osawa marked lens.

~Marc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the earlier thread, but it's too bad the pictures are lost.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt Chinon make a lot of there own glass?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a fantastic Auto Chinon 28/2.8, although mine's in M42 mount.

Mine looks like the Tou Star one (weird, I thought they were Korean?) and has a serial of 516948

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

I think Chinon bought some of their lenses complete, others they may have bought the glass and assembled in house.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

I think Chinon bought some of their lenses complete, others they may have bought the glass and assembled in house.

I read in shutterbug of 90's that chinon 1,4/50 (with Gaf camera) was made by kiron (??) Shocked

Surely it is an error.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A review of a K mount Chinon in Modern Photography mentioned that some Chinon lenses were supplied by a Pentax subsidiary, Cosmicar, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found out that this lens was very likely made by Tokina, it resembles very much 2.8/28mm RMC Tokina on this thread on Pentax forums.

Here's my Chinons Tokina cousin:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon did any lens by himself?

A vivitar chinon ones, please. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens in M42 mount branded JML. I believe it's one of the few lenses manufactured by JML Optical. http://www.jmloptical.com/