Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which version of Alpa-Makro-Kilar f2.8 90mm is this?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Which version of Alpa-Makro-Kilar f2.8 90mm is this? Reply with quote

Can anyone identify which version of the Alpa-Makro-Kilar f2.8 90mm lens this is. When looking online I see they made a 1:1 and a 1:2 version. This one has numbers on the lower half from 0 to 4 that I do not see on the others I find online so am unsure which version this is. Thanks for any help you could provide.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: long extension mount Reply with quote

The green knob is pulled out which makes it a long extension mount. It looks like the one that goes with the 90mm. This extension will come in addition to the lens helix.

p.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Which version of Alpa-Makro-Kilar f2.8 90mm is this? Reply with quote

rossn4 wrote:
Can anyone identify which version of the Alpa-Makro-Kilar f2.8 90mm lens this is. When looking online I see they made a 1:1 and a 1:2 version. This one has numbers on the lower half from 0 to 4 that I do not see on the others I find online so am unsure which version this is. Thanks for any help you could provide.

As far as I can tell, it's the early (1957-1961) model with double focusing helicoid; should be able to reach 1.7x magnification. Not sure about the green 0 - 4 numbers though, never seen them before.
The later model (>1961) has all-black finish, a built-in filter slot and a triple helicoid, reaching 2x magnification.

The 1:1 & 1:2 versions you referred to are for the 40mm members of the Macro-Kilar family (model D does 1:1 while model E can only do 1:2).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Which version of Alpa-Makro-Kilar f2.8 90mm is this? Reply with quote

SVP wrote:
rossn4 wrote:

As far as I can tell, it's the early (1957-1961) model with double focusing helicoid; should be able to reach 1.7x magnification. Not sure about the green 0 - 4 numbers though, never seen them before.
The later model (>1961) has all-black finish, a built-in filter slot and a triple helicoid, reaching 2x magnification.

The 1:1 & 1:2 versions you referred to are for the 40mm members of the Macro-Kilar family (model D does 1:1 while model E can only do 1:2).

Indeed it is (I have the later triple helicoid 2x version). That thing with o ... 4 in green is an extra helicoid (I have that too) which could be attached for extra magnification.

Just in case that would be interesting, a few days ago I shot a series using this lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157647908667188/ showing that extremely rare double ring bokeh it has fully open.

which disappears when stopping down just one stop:

My post about it is here: http://forum.mflenses.com/kilfitt-makro-kilar-f2-8-90mm-t68274.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Two radii Reply with quote

The earlier version of the 90mm Makro-kilar was reported to have normally shaped lens elements, but the last version was apparently advertised as having two different radii so as to combat spherical aberration. My copy can be seen to have a ring near the outer edge. I assume this is what gives the halo like effects. The extension tube with the retractable knob of the later version also has a solid tripod mount attatched.

p.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Which version of Alpa-Makro-Kilar f2.8 90mm is this? Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I'm new here, and I have a question about this lens.
I own pretty much the identical version that rossn4 attached above.

kds315* wrote:
That thing with o ... 4 in green is an extra helicoid (I have that too) which could be attached for extra magnification.

Might be a bit of a stupid question, but that means this extra helicoid can be removed, right? Is it screwed on? If so, mine is very tight and I have not been able to unscrew it (I don't want to exercise to much strength without knowing for sure that it can be screwed off).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Old v\s new v\s newest--- Reply with quote

The version mentioned in the tables (but not in the text) of the "Macro and Micro photography with the Alpa Reflex" brochure marked 656, is listed as going to 1:1,6. Date June 1956?

The version listed in Kilfitts own brochure marked 16-40565 FK is listed as repoducing 1:1,1. Date May 1965 ?

The version listed in Zoomars brochuremarked 5M-10/68 is listed as going to 1:1 and called super macro-kilar. That version has a tripod-mount intermediate piece with a filter slot and rear mount for the camera adapter. Date Oct 1968 seems indisputable.

I do not have my Alpa lenses easily accessible, but when I get time, I will check whether the late "aspheric" (i.e. dual radius) version has any more detatchable parts. I vaguely remember that my Kilfitt 150 has a fairly long, specific Alpa mount that attached to the lens helical mount, and that the 90s Alpamount was in one piece with the tripod mount.

p