Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which spanner wrench to buy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Which spanner wrench to buy? Reply with quote

Hi,

Im looking for a spanner wrench to remove the front element of a Meyer Orestor 135mm 2.8 lens, and i dont know which tool i need from these two:

3/32:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Spanner-Wrench-3-32-Great-Tool-for-Lens_W0QQitemZ200381516211QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea7ab49b3

1/32:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spanner-Wrench-1-32-Great-Tool-for-Lens_W0QQitemZ360194672939QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53dd46892b

As i see the difference is between the head-tips, but which size/shape is the better for lens repair?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I used a cheap steel compass (which worked really fine) to clean my Orestor 135, but then i bought a real spanner wrench from the forum member Alex (hk300 on eBay). They are not exactly the same model as the ones you have found, but works really better than my old compass.
If you want to take a look, here you have a report for the tool written by the forum member Jesito.

BTW, i think Attila, too, sells the same one ...

Hope this helps

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of them I bought it yrs ago, pretty crap easy to hurt lens surface and title ring too , due not enough stable. Our in-house maker makes better one
Alex (hk300). You can buy directly from him via pm or in my Ebay shop, more expensive but lot better quality.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for 50 bucks it should be rock solid thats for sure!

But i dont know, it is almost more expensive than the lens was, i think i will stick with the cheaper 1/32 version for a try, and i will practice with an already ruined lens. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

liszon! wrote:
Well, for 50 bucks it should be rock solid thats for sure!

But i dont know, it is almost more expensive than the lens was, i think i will stick with the cheaper 1/32 version for a try, and i will practice with an already ruined lens. Smile

In such a case, why don't you try a steel compass (which is cheaper) ? If you are careful with the tips, it is perfectly useful:

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not a bad idea also, thanks for the tip! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this one's selection of interchangeable tips:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adjustable-Spanner-Wrench-Lens-Opening-Tool-fr-all-lens_W0QQitemZ390106230666QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Filters?hash=item5ad424af8a

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

cooltouch wrote:
I like this one's selection of interchangeable tips:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adjustable-Spanner-Wrench-Lens-Opening-Tool-fr-all-lens_W0QQitemZ390106230666QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Filters?hash=item5ad424af8a

I have it, but must admit that the pictured item is nicer than reality ... In fact, the body of the spanner is not so bad, but the weakness is the quality of the tips, made by some kind of dark gray metal (not HSS steel for sure) and a bit misaligned ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the MFLENS spanner wrench from HK300 or the shop here. I have one and highly recommend it. Some of the wrenches on offer have no way of controlling their spread whereas the MFLENS one has grubscrews to keep the spacing just right.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a spanner from here, and i must say it's sturdy and works great, it has interchangeable tips and it's really easy to use. I highly recommend it, even though i haven't tried the other ones, i've seen recommendations also on the one from micro-tools...
Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spanner wrench has arrived quickly from ebay.

Click here to see on Ebay

Works great, really good for the price!