Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which lens do you like for the bokeh?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:

And to finish, my Domiplan 50/2.8 that I modified :

Yes, it's a triangular bokeh, I remove 3 blades of the diaphgram Mr. Green

That triangular bokeh is pretty cool. Does it affect the amount of light getting though?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanX wrote:
Hi CarbonR,

Domiplan 50mm f2.8 is great. What is the bayonet mount and why did you modified it?

It is in M42 mount. I bought an ohter M42 lens to flor27, with this Domiplan which was stuck. I disassembled it to try to unstuck it, but 3 blades had some rust, so I remove them. I did other modifications to the lens : shorter minimum focusing distance (from 0.75m to about 0.45m) and manual diaphragm. It was like a training before disassembling 2 Helios 44M-4 Mr. Green

David Chu wrote:

That triangular bokeh is pretty cool. Does it affect the amount of light getting though?

I think the difference is not so big, but I did not test it. I always stop the lens between f/5.6 and f/8 (marked on the lens) to have the best effect possible Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP AD2 2.8-3.8/35-80, I "discovered" this lens second time, sharp enough wide open, very easy to focus. I know that bokeh is "busy" but from zoom you can not easily develop one compare to portrait lenses.

The second lens is (again) Tamron SP AD2 2.5/180. It "speaks" by itself.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek, Tamron SP AD2 2.5/180 is great, I like it. Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of my example

Helios 40

and Leica R 90 f/2.8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 40 for me!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanX wrote:
voytek, Tamron SP AD2 2.5/180 is great, I like it. Shocked

Indeed! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Oly Zuiko 50/1.8 Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super light + focus on that Oly shot!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios-40:

f/1.5:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VGR wrote:
Helios-40:

Gorgeous shots. I really love the way the Helios-40 "does" people. Thanks for sharing these.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt Helios-40 one of the finest portrait lens. Thanks for sharing this excellent series.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot and nice bokeh !!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible the Helios 40 bokeh!

I think it's not as silky (or buttery) smooth as other lenses (SMC f1.4/40 Tak or pancolar's). It's just different, different in a great and very unique way!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

der_lockere wrote:

I think it's not as silky (or buttery) smooth as other lenses (SMC f1.4/40 Tak or pancolar's). It's just different, different in a great and very unique way!!

Yes, and honestly, I don't like it. Sorry, my personal view...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

der_lockere wrote:

To me, it's like the bokeh of the Leica Noctilux. It is not particularly smooth and it is not everybody's taste but I love it. A lens with character!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with a rather distant background, my old Voigtländer Heliar 4.5/105 has a somewhat restless bokeh compared to my adjusted S-K Radionar 4.5/105:

Here is the Heliar:

and here is the Radionar:

The Radionar has a very good highlight bokeh with an almost Gaussian character:

Here are a few examples with quite minimal bright edge or double lining effects:

The Radionar behaves quite well even at the rather wide f/4.5 aperture - most lenses have to be stopped down to something like f/8 in order to get a decent bokeh. Of course, even the Radionar will somewhat improve if stopped down a bit, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
der_lockere wrote:

To me, it's like the bokeh of the Leica Noctilux. It is not particularly smooth and it is not everybody's taste but I love it. A lens with character!

Cheers!

Abbazz

YEEESSSS!!!!

Very artisitc, very subtle, VERY LEICA M!!!!!

Which, F/1 or F/1,2? The leicamen don't agree about which is the best.

For me both, man. They're LEICA M. . . . .(silence).

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

Rino,

Sorry, my post was not clear. The picture has been taken with a Helios-40 wide open. I was only comparing the bokeh to the Noctilux. Apparently, the rendering is similar between both lenses since you got caught Wink

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
Even with a rather distant background, my old Voigtländer Heliar 4.5/105 has a somewhat restless bokeh

Veijo,

When I see the results from your Heliar, I think there is a problem with this lens. All my Heliar lenses, even the oldest ones, are much sharper than yours and the out of focus blur seems much smoother.

Here are some pictures taken at F/4 with a more recent "Heliar" lens, the Takumar 58mm F/2.4:

The bokeh looks much like your customized Radionar, with no bright ring in the out of focus highlights:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

Here are some pictures taken at F/4 with a more recent "Heliar" lens, the Takumar 58mm F/2.4:

Cheers!
Abbazz

Those are very good samples Abbaz, i will prioritize this lense above Biotar in my wishlist.. Smile !!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
It is not particularly smooth and it is not everybody's taste but I love it. A lens with character!

Cheers!

Abbazz

OK, I have to admit: here I like the result of the Helios-40 a lot!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
estudleon wrote:

Rino,

Sorry, my post was not clear. The picture has been taken with a Helios-40 wide open. I was only comparing the bokeh to the Noctilux. Apparently, the rendering is similar between both lenses since you got caught Wink

Cheers!

Abbazz

In your pic, it has the warm rendering that has the noctilux too. I thought that the pic was crop.

I don't know nothing about the Helios-40, but the images talk by themselves, it seem to be a great lens. Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

super takumar 50mm f/1.4 Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
der_lockere wrote:

Yes, and honestly, I don't like it. Sorry, my personal view...

It's not to my tastes either. The reason for me is that it dominates the picture when there are highlights. In the example above it's fine.