Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which 85mm lens should i look out for?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact I know many focal length what 99% good one from any makers

35mm,50-60mm , 85mm , 135mm ,200mm hard to get bad one.Even if maker Soligor, Hanimex , Vivitar or any other third party not respected brand name.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good performer is the Takumar 1,9/85 (about 180€). The new samyang 1,4/85 is also a winner.

Often I am using a 2,8/135mm - the cheapest sort of a "short" tele
for good portraits - and in the other direction the voightlander color ultron 1,4/55

regards Peter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would begin with the cheap (but good) J-9.

Use it a lot and dominate his character. You will find, perhaps, that the lens is very soft at wide open (F/2) and if you don't use it with brighten lights in the background, the rendering can be OK. And if you need more sharpness use f/ 4 to 8 and perhaps you can find what you are looking for.

It's a very light and small lens, and overall it's very cheap.

Did You use the lens and don't like it? Well, the cost of the test was almost nothing and you have try one of the most famous portrait lens.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: I was inadvertantly directed here by Google... Reply with quote

But being that I own a Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 L, I think I have the right to speak up here and sing it's praises. I got the 85mm as an upgrade from my FD 50mm f/1.2, which I used heavily before the 85mm. The 85mm could have easily been my only lens after getting it.

I brought that lens only for it's ability to provide handheld photography in very low-light conditions. And by low-light, I mean like sitting in the back seat of a moving vehicle and shooting the person seated next to me in no light other than what was coming in from the windows, AT NIGHT! That I've done. I would consider a small light bulb in one room good lighting. If I had less, I would simply brace myself against a wall or something similar and shoot as needed. Simply put, nothing beats f/1.2 in an 85mm lens! That lens became the only one I used after getting it, with all but a very few occasions where I would use my Canon FD 20-35mm f/3.5. I was that much in love with that lens.

Now I'll go and try and find the information I was looking for. If someone here knows my answer, please let me know. I'm looking for information on an RF Elmar 65mm/3.5. I was trying to find pictures of that lens to show whether it has focusing ability, or needs the Leica Helicoid Focusing Mount to work. Google lead me here because at least one of you has an Elmer lens. But just not the one I'm looking for.

EDIT: I think I just got my answer. It seems to be the lens used with the Leica Visoflex system. I think therefore I am covered with my Leica Helicoid Focusing mount.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently finished one retouch from Vivitar 1.8/85mm wide-open. I couldn't resist sharing. Title is Thoughts and colors.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remarkable photo, the colors and composition are wonderful!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you did confirmed take any 85mm lens and you will won't disappointed , excellent samples!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I recently finished one retouch from Vivitar 1.8/85mm wide-open. I couldn't resist sharing. Title is Thoughts and colors.

HI pancolart.

Very nice image, rich colors and very good sharpness to ber wide open.

And very good retouch too. You give to the picture all that things that the vivitar doesn't. Fine taste, fine image.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. I am really glad you liked it. It's true what you say Rino, that Vivitar leaves photo relatively undefined and that is just fine with me but i am sure it's not for everybody.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 after reading many rave reviews. Granted, virtually all comments related to its macro abilities, but I bought it for more than that. I have yet to use it because I need to complete a mount conversion first. Since I haven't seen it compared to other lenses in this focal range, I'm curious how it might compare to these often discussed 85mm lenses. Interestingly, I think I remember reading that the actual focal length of the Vivitar is 87mm. Anyone able to make comparisons of the Vivitar in general non-macro use?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Pancolart.

It's a very fine picture.
I find that the human beeing brings a lot to the atmosphere and gives life to the scenery.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A true masterpiece, Pancolart .... bravo !

85 mm lenses :

Smc Takumar 1,8/85 .... film fuji 200

Jupiter-9 ..... film tri-x 41 years old picture ....

And Helios-40-2 http://forum.mflenses.com./helios-40-85mm-1-5-t24543,start,30.html

I'm however on the way to buy a samyang 1,4/85 ....

Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Thank you guys. I am really glad you liked it. It's true what you say Rino, that Vivitar leaves photo relatively undefined and that is just fine with me but i am sure it's not for everybody.

A bit of low contrast with most vivitar lenses but I cope with it through using the SNAP filter from Optic Verve Labs Virtual Photographer.

http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

Gives a one button fix that is scalable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i received long awaited 5D MKII. I hurried out taking first lens at the hand: Vivitar 1.8/85mm.
Shots unprocessed just resized. It's a bit cloudy outside. I even dared asking lady for her portrait. All wide-open.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another vote for the Asahi S-M-C Takumar 1.8/85 - shot wide-open and into the light Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that everybody started naming their favorites in 85-90 range regardless of price, i might as well say my favorite...while having helios 40-2, tamron 90 and such, my favorite is Olympus 90mm/2 macro. i rarely have to correct the contrast of the photos made with this lens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact any 85mm lens is very good , they are premium lenses from any manufacturers. Take that what you can find and you can afford it. New Samyang is commonly available and hard to beat it's price/performance ratio.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparison between :
Auto Takumar 85/1.8
S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8
Helios-40 85/1.8 @f/1.8
http://kogaku.weebly.com/reflex.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
In fact any 85mm lens is very good , they are premium lenses from any manufacturers. Take that what you can find and you can afford it. New Samyang is commonly available and hard to beat it's price/performance ratio.

Come on Atilla, what about the character Wink.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Attila wrote:

Come on Atilla, what about the character Wink.

on 100 GBP budget and in 85mm range , I can't see any character Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well up to 250 GBP every scar counts Smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without budget limit I like following lenses:

CZJ Biotar 75mm f1.5
CZ Planar 85mm f1.4
CZJ Pancolar 80mm f1.8
Helios-40 85mm f1.5 silver very old one with cm label.
Konica 85mm f1.8
CZ Sonnar 85mm f2.8
Any Takumar 85mm
Nikon 85mm f1.8 all variant
Olympus OM 85mm, 90mm
Tamron SP 90mm
Silver Jupiter-9 85mm

Most remarkable ones for me Biotar 75, Pancolar 80 and very old helios-40 copy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like these :
Helios-40
Volna-3