Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

which 50mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: which 50mm lens Reply with quote

Hi,
I going to step over and start use a manual lenses for my Panasonic GF2 m4/3 but I lack the knowledge of which 50mm lens i should get.

From my family camera collection I have already collected a few lenses:

- Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm 1.4 ø49
- Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1.7 ø55
- Yashica DS-M Yashinon 50mm 1.7

Is there any obvious winner here regarding sharpness, bokeh etc?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: which 50mm lens Reply with quote

dalla wrote:
Hi,
I going to step over and start use a manual lenses for my Panasonic GF2 m4/3 but I lack the knowledge of which 50mm lens i should get.

From my family camera collection I have already collected a few lenses:

- Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm 1.4 ø49
- Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1.7 ø55
- Yashica DS-M Yashinon 50mm 1.7

Is there any obvious winner here regarding sharpness, bokeh etc?

Thanks!

I've used all three and they are all nice.

But the Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm 1.4 is simply AMAZING.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly bought a Yashica 50 1.7 today, but it had a sticky iris. Maybe I'll go back for it if it's worth getting for £10 ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a newer Minolta MD f1.4 and it works very well on my Olympus E3 and EPL1. At f1.4, I think it is actually better than the Zuiko 50mm f1.4. But the Zuiko outperforms it in terms of sharpness when stopped.

All lenses get sharper when stopped down. The advantage of the f1.4 is that you can lose a stop and still have a sharp f2 lens. My experience of the Zuiko 50mm f1.8 is that it is not great (on my E3) at f1.8 so it is more of an f2.8 lens. But the f1.4's will be pin-sharp at f2.

Since you already have the lenses, why not try them and see which works best? I doubt you will be unhappy with the Rokkor 50mm f1.4 though.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I nearly bought a Yashica 50 1.7 today, but it had a sticky iris. Maybe I'll go back for it if it's worth getting for £10 ?

Sticky or stuck?

A slow aperture is not too much of a problem on a DSLR since you can only use them in stop-down mode.

A stuck iris or one that is never where you think it is is not so good though.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rokkor-(X) 50/1.4 is the best among those lenses. ø49 one is later
version, though earlier ø55 version has the same optics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Sticky or stuck?

A slow aperture is not too much of a problem on a DSLR since you can only use them in stop-down mode.

A stuck iris or one that is never where you think it is is not so good though.

Mark

It's just slow to open, otherwise it's in excellent condition. I might have a punt on it. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for al replies!

I have actually tested all lenses but cannot decide which one to keep on the camera.

The Rokkor 1.4 is the best overall performer I think, but the Yashica 1.7 had a more softer and pleasant bokeh. The colours was also a bit harder and darker on the Yashica (good or bad?) which was interesting. The corner sharpness was not very good though.

Think I keep them booth to do some additional testing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

I would go for a Canon 50mm f1.4 very sweet performer.

Shot this portrait with it. The straight from the camera shot. I know, need some crop on the left to make it even better.

----

For inspiration check my flickriver: http://flickriver.com/photos/elchivato/popular-interesting/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FD 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

JerryMK wrote:

Shot this portrait with it. The straight from the camera shot. I know, need some crop on the left to make it even better.

Is that the FD version?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FD 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

dalla wrote:
JerryMK wrote:

Is that the FD version?

Yes it is the FD version.