Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

which 50mm 1.4 lens. FD ssc, FD non SSC or super takumar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: which 50mm 1.4 lens. FD ssc, FD non SSC or super takumar Reply with quote

this is primary for a A1 body and so I know with the takumar I will need an adapter which I'm fine with but also with the takumar it will be easier to use with my XSI as well. I'm able to get all of them at about the same price right now and wonder which one would you have your preference with and why?

any direct comparison between the three lens's as well?
and last question is what is the difference between the SSC lens and the non SSC lens?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the fd 50 1.4. Super and cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: which 50mm 1.4 lens. FD ssc, FD non SSC or super takumar Reply with quote

rx7speed wrote:
this is primary for a A1 body and so I know with the takumar I will need an adapter which I'm fine with but also with the takumar it will be easier to use with my XSI as well. I'm able to get all of them at about the same price right now and wonder which one would you have your preference with and why?

any direct comparison between the three lens's as well?
and last question is what is the difference between the SSC lens and the non SSC lens?

Get the Canon and enjoy the A-1's features. It is the Canon I use most. Better yet, get one of each if the budget allows.

I've never used the Takumar but find the 50/1.4 Canon a fine lens. My collection of magazines from the 70s indicates there may be more variation from lens to lens than there is between Asahi and Canon. The Tak may have qualities you like better than the Canon. The opposite may also be true.

S.C. stands for Canon's Spectra Coating. It may involve more than one layer on specific elements to acheive Canon's design goals.

S.S.C. means Super Spectra Coating, a response to Asahi's SMC. Not all Canon lenses received the SSC treatment, it was applied if a noticable improvement was acheived.

The later "New FD" lenses were introduced after the "Multi Coating" advertising hype had passed and are not differentiated on the data ring. As before, they received SC or SSC coating as needed to acheive design goals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I don't know about Takumars, but the Canon FD lenses are indeed fine. The main difference between SSC and plain 50mm f1.4 is that
the latter has no coating at all and thus is more prone to flare and other optical aberrations. AFAIK the optical scheme is just the same. I can't tell anything about performance since I have no direct experience with those two specimens. I own the 50 f1.8 S.C. and I think it's a fine performer, the 50 f1.4 S.S.C. is said to be slight better and I guess it has to do with the fact that the latter is multicoated and the former only single.
I would go with the S.S.C. and enjoy the full capabilities of what I think it's a wonderful camera. BTW at the moment it's my workhorse.
Marty.
PS: Just to clarify I'm referring to old breech lock models, the new series without the aluminium ring are all SSC except 50 f1.8 which is SC. The new FD 50 1.4 is therefore equivalent to 50 f1.4 S.S.C.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every element of every Canon SLR lens of whatever series is coated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh and sharpness look good: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/597185/341#8683486

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramiller500 wrote:

references?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid for mine FD 1.4/50 (new version, explanation above) 14 € in unused condition.

So there is no need to work with an adapter and Tak at a FD mount/bayonet.
Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Bokeh and sharpness look good: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/597185/341#8683486

Wow, some great photos in that thread. I should check FM forums more often. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

did some conversions FD>EF Mount.. incl. 1.2/55mm SSC and 1.4/50mm SSC... both now reaching infinity without added glas adapter.
So you can see, how the SSC's perform..

The 1.4/50mm SSC (chrome ring version)..

The results @1.4.. on an EOS 5D MKII (boring test shots)

Crop ~800 Pixel..

Next sample..

And a last one..

The crop..

A bit soft @ 1.4, but the performance is ok. But on a film cam.. the behavior should sometimes better than on a DSLR...

For those who are interested i did write a long documentation in our german forum "how to make the conversion of the SSC Lenses", especially the Canon FD 1.2/55mm SSC.. (sorry, only in german language... use google translate)

http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?12322-Canon-FD-1.2-55mm-SSC-Umbaudoku..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you also convert the Tokina 90/2.5 macro? I have one that I use on a FD macro adapter, but it's a shame that I can't use it for medium and longer focus distance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Did you also convert the Tokina 90/2.5 macro? I have one that I use on a FD macro adapter, but it's a shame that I can't use it for medium and longer focus distance.

Yes, i did the conversion also..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
ramiller500 wrote:

references?

This is well known for post-WW2 lenses (which Canon SLR lenses are). Check with your favorite search engine.

Canon's lens series prior to FD was FL. My FL lens brochure details the coatings used for the lenses. They did not regress somehow when moving on to FD!