Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's your favourite 28??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tefnon is probably made by Kobori as Tefnon was their house brand. I have two Kobori zooms and both are shockingly good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just sold a Vivitar / Kobori 80-200 / 4 which was very good, I didn't really want to sell it but the young lad was very keen to have it so I spread a little MJ joy and sold it to him.

And talking of zooms, and back on topic of favourite 28's, how about the Vivitar Series 1. VMC. 28-90 / 2.8-3.5 ? that's nearly a bunch of primes in one lens, both of mine are Komine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I've just sold a Vivitar / Kobori 80-200 / 4 which was very good, I didn't really want to sell it but the young lad was very keen to have it so I spread a little MJ joy and sold it to him.

And talking of zooms, and back on topic of favourite 28's, how about the Vivitar Series 1. VMC. 28-90 / 2.8-3.5 ? that's nearly a bunch of primes in one lens, both of mine are Komine.

Awesome lens and well worth seeking out. Better than the Kiron 28-85 which competed with it.
One of the great photojournalist lenses of its era, and still produces outstanding results.
As for Kobori, I have a 28-200 Vivitar by Kobori which is excellent.
I had the equivalent Vivitars by Kiron and Cosina, but the Kobori version is far superior so I sold them.
The Kobori I have kept.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 28-200 Kobori is indeed a great lens, you never expect much from an old superzoom so this one is really surprising.

On Samsung NX100:

100% crop, plenty sharp enough, no CA, pretty damn good for an old zoom imho:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier this year I picked up both the kobori and cosina vivivitar 28-200(/210mm for the cos) superzooms to try out on my pentax. As Ian remarks about the kobori they are surprisingly good - except at 28mm where I thought both of them weak!
The focus throw is short too and for me feels twitchy at the longer focal lengths, and once past 100mm you're pretty much at f5.3/f5.6.

But both competed respectably against my DA 18-135mm at ~ 5% of the cost.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 28-200 as well, Phi's got that one now. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

I am awaiting a 1.9/28 X-Fujinon which I am excited to test - and of course am hopeful that it will be a good performer as well.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it's jumped to the top 3 28's I use regularly.
X-Fujinon 28/1.9
SMC Pentax K 28/2
Rokkor MC SI 28/2.5

Topcor RE 28/2.8
SMC Pentax K 28/3.5 was on my list to get when the 28/2 fell in my lap, the 30/2.8 was also on the list.
I'd love to try the Leica R 28/2.8 version II, but it's price is insane, the version 1 seems good enough for the near field shots I've used it for, no distant shots with it yet.

Lightshow - you have an X-Fujinon 1.9/28 - yay.
I recently won one of these by chance and am awaiting its arrival.
There is almost nothing on the web about it.
Would you mind sharing your impressions and if you have any, some samples.
I would be most grateful
OH

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy restoring a Ducati...
The focus throw is relatively short compared to other 28's and other lenses in general(<90 deg), but I have had no issues with focusing, quite the opposit, it's quite easy to focus with.
It's color is great, somewhat punchy, has a nice transition to OOF, nice bokeh for a wide angle when wide open.
I won't be selling mine...
I don't have much uploaded from it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/xfujinonswebc2819/

Full size WO: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/15355046222/sizes/o/

Too bad this thread lost most of the pictures.
http://forum.mflenses.com/finally-x-fujinon-28-1-9-t56966.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I was impressed by the Series-1 28-90. I got mine free due to oily gummy blades.
Surprised how sharp it is, and the color rendering is wonderful. But it needs a hood though. I just wish it wasn't so damn heavy. Wink

The Kiron 28-105 /f3.2-4.5 is also very good. Don't know how it would compare to the 28-85.
Colors are cooler than the Series-1, so I prefer the 28-90...but just as sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

I am awaiting a 1.9/28 X-Fujinon which I am excited to test - and of course am hopeful that it will be a good performer as well.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it's jumped to the top 3 28's I use regularly.
X-Fujinon 28/1.9
SMC Pentax K 28/2
Rokkor MC SI 28/2.5

Topcor RE 28/2.8
SMC Pentax K 28/3.5 was on my list to get when the 28/2 fell in my lap, the 30/2.8 was also on the list.
I'd love to try the Leica R 28/2.8 version II, but it's price is insane, the version 1 seems good enough for the near field shots I've used it for, no distant shots with it yet.

Lightshow - you have an X-Fujinon 1.9/28 - yay.
I recently won one of these by chance and am awaiting its arrival.
There is almost nothing on the web about it.
Would you mind sharing your impressions and if you have any, some samples.
I would be most grateful
OH

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy restoring a Ducati...
The focus throw is relatively short compared to other 28's and other lenses in general(<90 deg), but I have had no issues with focusing, quite the opposit, it's quite easy to focus with.
It's color is great, somewhat punchy, has a nice transition to OOF, nice bokeh for a wide angle when wide open.
I won't be selling mine...
I don't have much uploaded from it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/xfujinonswebc2819/

Full size WO: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/15355046222/sizes/o/

Too bad this thread lost most of the pictures.
http://forum.mflenses.com/finally-x-fujinon-28-1-9-t56966.html

Many thanks for the feedback and the links.
Certainly the lens looks to be an excellent performer.
Still waiting for mine.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
You should try the Pentax K 28 f3.5 ( 8 elements) . It shines on the A7.

This is my favourite 28 of all time.
Straight out of Sony Nex-7, no PP. ISO100, f5.6, 1/500 Click for full size.