Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's wrong with this picture?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

Hello folks.
I am trying 35mm film after quite a while of being digital only.
Having bought a few cameras recently (Olympus Trip 35, Fed 2 and a Yashica Electro 35) I loaded a cheap film into the first to try out. To see the results, I took it to a local store and had the film (Colour Truprint ASA200 - a film I found in a drawer!) developed as negatives and scanned.

Having looked at the results on my PC I'm quite disappointed: there are quite a few focussing errors on my part, most of the scans lak detail - especially when viewed at 100%.

My questions:

am I expecting too much from a cheap film?
should I try a different processing store?
can the scanning make a real difference?

Best regards,
RoyM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ,

All of your question can make real difference.

Cheap film

Same film, same scan, same developing lab

Crappy result (lighting was poor)
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/exa2a/

Superb result (lighting was excellent and camera also Wink
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/yashica_electro_35/

Pro film, pro gear , same scan , pro result
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/Voigtlander/bessa_L_voigtlander_heliar_Tenerife/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cheap film can be good, same don't. Slide and pro films are always better than any digital camera especially on medium or above format.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - here is an example. Any comments welcome!

Best regards,
RoyM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture? Reply with quote

wakarimasen wrote:
Hello folks.
I am trying 35mm film after quite a while of being digital only.
Having bought a few cameras recently (Olympus Trip 35, Fed 2 and a Yashica Electro 35) I loaded a cheap film into the first to try out. To see the results, I took it to a local store and had the film (Colour Truprint ASA200 - a film I found in a drawer!) developed as negatives and scanned.

Having looked at the results on my PC I'm quite disappointed: there are quite a few focussing errors on my part, most of the scans lak detail - especially when viewed at 100%.

My questions:

am I expecting too much from a cheap film?
should I try a different processing store?
can the scanning make a real difference?

Best regards,
RoyM

Exposure here my friend. You basically shot a silhouette, was this the outcome you where looking for?

This is known as a high contrast scene. The sky is big and bright while the foliage and trees are in shadow. you dont have any detail in the foreground.

Take a reading of the darkest shadows that you want to record detail in then close down 1 stop from this reading. So if your shadows called for f/2.8 at 1/60 shoot at f/4 1/60. This will provide for proper exposure of the shadows and also provide good exposure for everything else except the brightest highlights.

Remember that color negative film can handle at best 3 or 4 stops overexposure but at MOST only one stop underexposure. So it should be clear that in a high contrast scene you want to expose for the shadows.
Unless your shooting silhouettes.

If i would have shot this scene I would have walked right up to the furthest tree and took a reading directly from the bark, then i would have stepped back framed my pic and stopped down 1 stop focused and shot. i would also have bracketed a few shots then compared the results.

Results when weight is given to highlights. You get a silhouette.

Midtone adjustment, sharp and saturation. could be better but a quick look at the blocked out shadows here.