Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What to use to clean grime off the lens body??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: What to use to clean grime off the lens body?? Reply with quote

What is something safe to use to just get rid of grime off the lens body?
Alcohol based? Metholated spirits?water?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirt,old dirt yellowish color especially near the rims and edges...not near the lens so that is ok mainly on the chrome of the CZJ pancolar,There is not a lot but want to know if it is possible to clean it off with out trauma to the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally use common Isopropyl Alcohol, a 99% solution, as commonly found in drug stores and pharmacies. With cotton swabs, it does a fine job of gently removing grimy stuff of organic origin. Here in the US, it's commonly called 'rubbing alcohol.'

A cautionary note: If the grimy buildup is very old or very thick, there's a chance it could have softened underlying paint. Use any cleaning product and method with care in such cases, testing inconspicuous areas first.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you....The grime looks like the yellow grime from smokers and just old age grime build up through the years.No offense to any smokers out there..you guys are always picked on... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metho and a cotton bud or 3 should do the trick.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbing alcohol works well, though I've never seen it sold as 99-100%, always 70% in over-the-counter preparations. It's also known as isopropyl alcohol or propan-2-ol, and is what used to be sold as stylus cleaner for record players (remember styluses?). It has a very characteristic smell.

I've also used household kitchen cleaning fluid ('Flash', that sort of thing, the stuff that isn't frothy) on a cotton bud or two, though not on areas adjacent to openings or lens edges, where capillary action might draw fluid in. Works well with care, and of course you always use care when cleaning lenses and lens assemblies with anything. I've also used metal polish, the stuff that comes impregnated on wads, for camera body metal, and that too has worked well. Very nice for cleaning up stuff that's headed eBay-ward.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Windex or equivalent.

Cheers, Marty.