Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil BV-Tele-Quinar 200/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Steinheil BV-Tele-Quinar 200/4.5 Reply with quote

Hi,

I just blind-purchased a set of a Praktica BMS including a 50mm / 2.4 lens and another lens which was not descibed any closer.
It was about a minute before ending and at a low price. So I bid on it and now I am unpatiently waiting for the parcel to arrive Wink
The 50 / 2.4 seems to perform not bad as I saw in some threads here but I have no clue what the other lens is..

The only thing to see is a "lens made in Germany" label. The aperture control seems to be at the front end of the lens showing an aperture indicator.

The design of the focus and/or zoom(?) ring reminded me of ENNA, ISCO or E. Schacht. But it could also be an old Revuenon or Porst...
Looking at the size it might be a 135mm lens or even a 200mm? I could also recognize a tripod mount ring but I am not quite sure...

Does anyone have an idea?

I will solve it the next days, but my eagerness drives me to post it here Wink

Have a nice day!
Tim

Edit: I changed the topic to only the lens name now its clear what lens it is..
lucca1x shows some detailed shots of the lens here: http://forum.mflenses.com/steinheil-bv-tele-quinar-200mm-f-4-5-preset-m42-t64522.html

Last edited by Tim_Tomte on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:17 pm; edited 6 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is wearing a Pentax lens cap but no Pentax lenses were ever made in Germany AFAIK.
It is about the right size for a 200mm f4.5 or f4 but looks too long for a 135mm lens.
Looks very similar to the Steinheil BV Tele Quinar 200mm f 4.5 preset
http://forum.mflenses.com/two-lenses-info-needed-t64569.html
I will stick with 4.5/200 - probably Steinheil
As to the maker, someone else will know more
Interesting lens
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for this fast hint!
It also led me to this: http://forum.mflenses.com/steinheil-bv-tele-quinar-200mm-f-4-5-preset-m42-t64522.html

It really looks like the Steinheil BV Tele Quinar 200 / 4.5 but I can't find any information despite the two threads here at mflenses.
Searching for Steinheil Tele Quinar 200 4.5 I do get those chromed lenses and also a black edition like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steinheil-Muenchen-f-Exakta-1-4-5-200mm-Tele-Quinar-/231156008041?nma=true&si=zkPvAzwK4pJhV5pdRu2lK7gD1zQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

There is also a close match for Minolta MD:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131139911448

Anyway, I am very excited and hope the lens is in an acceptable condition...

Thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Steinheil BV Tele Quinar 200 F4.5 with M42 to Praktica B adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Calvin!
there is hardly any information about it ...Do you happen to own this lens as well?
I am curious if it performs like the other 200mm Tele-Quintars. As soon as I have it will upload a couple of photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those BV Steinheil lenses seems sold in Germany only. I never own one but it should not be a bad performer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tele-Quinar arrived today and I am really excited about it.
Its in good shape as far as I can judge. Lenses are clear with small amount of dust inside. The body has some scratches and flaws but nothing serious considering the age of the lens.
The aperture blades are fine, nothing loose, nothing stuck, all smooth. I tried a little and the rear aperture ring gets kind of loose when you turn the front aperture ring to any other aperture than f4.5 - but it gets only loose between the chosen aperture and f4.5...
BTW, why are there two aperture rings ? I have never used a lens like that.

I have made a short and dirty test series showing f4.5, f5.6, f8, f11, f16, f22 and f33.
I will upload in the next post.

Last edited by Tim_Tomte on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the samples. I was focusing on the top windows of the half-timber house.
The photos are jpegs straight out of my NEX-6 at ISO100, image settings were set to neutral, White balance at 6900 K (too blueish/mangentaish), no in camera or post sharpening. No in camera or post lens corrections. But I realized that I left Auto DRO Optimization on...
First sample @f4.5 was shot at a shutter speed of 1/4th of a second, last sample @f33/10sec.

To my eyes the sharpness looks really good, even at f4.5. I must search harder to find differences between f4.5 and smaller apertures... In the top corners I can see chromatic aberrations.

f4.5

f5.6

f8

f11

f16

f22

f33

Last edited by Tim_Tomte on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:20 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong as this is a present lens.
The top ring with the aperture number is preset ring, it sets the minimum aperture value.
The bottom ring is the aperture ring, it allows movement of the aperture from wide open to the preset aperture.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens seems to be quite good, but sorry to say, the photos are underexposed and with incorrect white balance. A few clicks of mouse with PP and Perfect Clear do wonders IMHO:

Original:

After correction of WB and exposure:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True thing.The photos came out a bit too dark and wb was set poorly as mentioned in previous post (auto...).

Thanks for making the effort to correct a photo and showing the result. Looks very good!

I'm excited to see what I can get next time I get out to shoot Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
A few clicks of mouse with PP and Perfect Clear do wonders IMHO

much better, but WB is still not right (it's still a bit bluish for my taste).. without Perfect Clear and manual editing in PS it can look like this:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, your setting for WB is spot on. Cool
I was a bit lazy and used the Photoshop's autopilot to correct the white balance. Laughing
I simply took a sample of one of the white house windows in center of photo with the white picker, and PS set automatically the WB. A manual adjustment of white balance, as you did, would lead to a better overall correction.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just came back from an after work walk. Took the NEX+Steinheil with me...
It must have been f4.5 as I was trying to stay at 1/250th of a second while not going over ISO 800 as it was getting darker...

Last edited by Tim_Tomte on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting looking shot! I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim_Tomte wrote:
just came back from an after work walk. Took the NEX+Steinheil with me...
It must have been f4.5 as I was trying to stay at 1/250th of a second while not going over ISO 800 as it was getting darker...

Thanks! I love those evening colors. Next time I better pack my Gorillapod though... My Nex-6 feels so unbalanced with a solid made 200mm lens attached... resulting in 80 percent blurred pictures Smile

Last edited by Tim_Tomte on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another perspective also @ f4.5:

...showing rather strong CA's...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the NEX 6 feels that way with some of my old glass in this range as well. It's tough for me to get focus on a lot of the pics taken with the Konica 80-200. The CA is pretty strong in that example, but I've seen worse on more modern telephotos. Thanks from sharing, hope you are enjoying the lens!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Year, I do enjoy it. But you signature says it all Wink
It might not be a lens which I'm having with me all the time.
I was also positively surprised with the close focus distance which was a lot less than two meter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After today I must say, maybe this is a lens which I will take with me all the time. Wink

Last edited by Tim_Tomte on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it this weekend for a short walk. Now I think the lens is is not bad at all but tends to produce CA in some lighting condition - it could be the man behind the camera ...