Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What do you use as a finder with this?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: What do you use as a finder with this? Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay.de

I think it is sort of a surveillance camera or something?

But where is the finder? It's 90mm on 35mm film so it has to be somewhat accurate. Is there a cold shoe finder that the "inspector" puts in his pocket after pointing it to the right direction or what?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like these do not need a finder, they're being used in a fixed position to take the same photo again and again. Like passing cars in a closed parking area, border protection or similar things. Maybe even an old speed-camera?

Just guessing though......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Looks like these do not need a finder, they're being used in a fixed position to take the same photo again and again. Like passing cars in a closed parking area, border protection or similar things. Maybe even an old speed-camera?

Just guessing though......

That does sound likely, but there where cold shoe finders for cameras, I was very tempted to get a multiple focal length turreted one from a friends estate last month. I didn't really have a use for it though & it probably increased the value of the lovely rangefinder kit it was with.
Something similar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-UNIVERSAL-Soviet-USSR-TURRET-VIEWFINDER-28mm-135-Leica-Fed-Zorki-Contax-46-/172473725147?hash=item28283c30db:g:lgIAAOSwXeJYHta7

The somewhat less elegant sports viewfinder http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-Leitz-ROSOL-Shoe-Mount-Sports-Finder-Viewfinder-w-Case-50mm-90mm-135mm-/291970467979?hash=item43facbc88b:g:-kkAAOSwKOJYI6oH would also be an option.

These days you can mount a laser to the hot shoe to assist in framing. I was considering this for IR work before getting a modified camera.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, or you can use an old pocket rangefinder -- I used to own one made by Voigtlander -- come to think of it, it might have had a cold shoe. I don't recall anymore. Anyway, use one of these and transfer the setting to the lens, dial in some depth of field on the lens, and Bob's your uncle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably something similar to Leica MD series.